1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

underground crabs

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by dmosk, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmosk

dmosk Guest

Im fairly new to owning crabs, fish have always been my thing and my girlfriend did the crabs but i gave her a fish tank and she bought me a crab tank so now i have two crabs. I put in compressed coconut substrate in the bottom and within 2 hours both of mine buried themselves to the point they cant be seen (I only know this cause you can see part of one oh the shells pressed up against the tank.) I am wondering if this is normal for crabs to immediately bury themselves or if its due to environment or whatnot.

2. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

Yes its normal for crabs to bury themselves. Under no circumstances should they ever be dug up. Make sure that you have temp and humidity gauges. Temp should be 70 - 80 degrees and humidity 72 to 80 percent humidity.

3. Nate

Nate "First Molt, A Success"

After you purchace a crab from a store they will go through a destress process. I will tell you this some do not make it through this process. It is normal for them to bury them selfs durring this time. It can last for around a month. Just keep the temp rite, the humidity good, and keep fresh food and water for them just in case they decide they get hungry or thursty.

4. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

How are the herms doing now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.