1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under the water dish

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Mommy2Crabs, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

My crab Goliath is under the fresh water dish. When I go to change their water and lift up the dish, I can see him and his cave. Is this ok? Should I do anything? I really don't know that I can do anything. Help!:confused:

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

I ve had the same prob....and learned to use a sponge to soak up the water in the dish with out removing it from the tank.

3. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Oooo! That's a good idea! Thank you soooo much!:)

4. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

What if some water gets spilled on him?

5. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

don't worry about it they live in a huimd climate for a reason... alittle water spill it nothing to the crab, it may even help keep him moist.

6. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

I was asking because I read somewhere that getting water on a molting crab could hinder the split of the exoskeleton when they are actually trying to shed their skin.

7. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

IMHO its not good they are there- the hole is weakend by the dish being there- and full of water- I think the chance of collapse is far greater..........anyway I usually make where the water dish is too shallow for them to make a cave - it drove me nuts for too many times to deal with it anymore. They still might dig around the dishes but no one really settles there.

8. Maddy

Maddy "Never Molted"

I read a book that said using a seashell for a dish is good idea, maybe you could try that!

9. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Thanks Maddy! But I have alot of crabs and my biggest crab needs to have a water dish large enough to let him fully submerge. Crabs need to be able to give themselves baths when they want to.

10. Maddy

Maddy "Never Molted"

Yeah, I know. Thats the 1 problem with seashells!

11. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I bury my water dishes as deep as possible as well.

12. dgh_1984

dgh_1984 (Micro Crab)

I have all small crabs so I use a shell for one of my water dishes because my other one was leaking and they work great. Except, they like to dig around it and they dumped all the water out.

13. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Hi everyone. I brought up this old topic because well...it's still new. My crab is still under the water dish and it's been over a month. The problem now is that his cave has weakened and I can see him through a whole in the substrate on the side of the water dish. He's really wet and I'm worried for him. I am very careful to use a sponge to soak up the water as to not disturb him, but it's hard. My substrate is only around 3-4 inches right where the water dish is. That's the shallowest area and he still chose that site. Sooooooo....my question finally: Should I move him and put him in iso? What should I do?

Thanks in advance! :)

14. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Update: He's out and looking good! Except he didn't molt. He's currently in the shell department shopping for a new shell. He's found a pretty green turbo that he's trying on right now.

I went ahead and lifted up the water dish and found that his cave was all soggy. That whole side of the tat was that way. Way too wet! I added some dry EE that I had stored and created a better consistancy. I am kinda worried that the other side of my tat might be in the same condition. I have crabs molting right now, so I can't go ahead and put new in. I have no idea where they are. And...I think Goliath may be looking for a new shell to molt. Oh boy. Any suggestions would be good. Thank you!

Okay while I'm at it I'll ask another question. I'm not gonna bother with starting a new thread. Has anyone seen mites jump? My sand blasted grapevine that was in my tat had some nasty lil white bugger bugs on it. They were comeing outa the middle. So...I baked it in the oven and did a surface clean. I put it back in and 2 days later they're back. Obviously that's outa the tat now. But I saw one in the water dish and it jumped! Has anyone seen that? That's sooooo weird. And...if I do have mites, how do I remove all the substrate and everything if I have molters? I've read the answer or suggestions somewhere, but at this hour of the night my brain is foggy. He He He...nice excuse huh? Anyway, thanks again! Don't worry I'm done now. :)

15. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

they sound like booklice but if you PM Jediah (sp?) then she can help-if she is not here then she visits the addiction too.
    Too much water will make bacterial issues in the tank and that is NOT good for molters..........anyway you can stick a UTH under the soggy or maybe soggy side- that would dry it up without you having to poke around and dig........other than that just wait it out and pray- can you pin point why its soggin up? Bubblers that splash too much will do that in a day.........are the dishes deep enough or are they dumping them?

16. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

They are deep enough, but they are always half full the next day. They must be having a swimming party, but not inviteing me darn it! I think I will put another UTH on that side and place gravel under them so they can't dig under and camp out anymore.

Booklice hang out around wood and food right? I've only noticed these little buggers on the wood, no where else. I think your right Hermez, booklice. Mites would be all over the place and in the substrate right?

Thanks for all of your help as always Hermez! You're the best! :)

17. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

MItes would be feeding on the crabs- the booklice would be everywhere else. Hope things dry out for you

18. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Yes I hope so too. Thanks for all of your advise and usual. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.