1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unburied a molter!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by momofboyz, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. momofboyz

momofboyz (Micro Crab)

Oh my gosh. I just unburied a newly molted crab:eek:. I really didn't mean to. I was cleaning the tank a little bit and digging for buried food when I found him. I was afraid to cover him back up, so I cut a water bottle and put it over him so the other crabs wouldn't bother him. He was beautiful, all pink and rosey, but it didn't look like he had ate much of his exo.

How long should I leave the water bottle over him, did I dome him to a certain death, and is there anything else I can do. I can't believe that I did this. I've been reading this forum religiously for over a month now, and I knew not to do this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I've done this on a few occasions. I forget that one is buried and find him molted. Usually they are far enough along to be okay. However, I discovered one in a moss pit that was FRESH-very fresh!!!! I didn't even know there was a crab in the pit! I carefully moved him to ISO and he was fine!! I was so scared that I had killed him. I wouldn't move yours though. Just leave the pop bottle over him until all the exo is gone and he looks "normal"!! He should be fine. Keep us updated!

3. momofboyz

momofboyz (Micro Crab)

Okay, that makes me feel a little bit better. I seemed more stressed out at this point than he does. I've only had these little guys for about a month, and I never expected one to molt so soon. I guess the conditions in my tank are better than I thought they were.

If I wasn't so stressed, I could probably enjoy the fact that he is gorgeous. I have never seen a crab that has molted, and they have a very pretty pink color. I guess you really do have crab fever when you think one is beautiful. LOL!! These things are going to make me go out of my mind.

4. Kaelink

Kaelink "Never Molted"

I'm not sure what the "ideal" solution is for this, but when I accidentally uncovered a crab of mine that was molting, I simply covered him back up. He wasn't out of his exoskeleton yet, so I didn't have to worry about him "losing" it, so I'm guessing you did the right thing. :p
    Hope he successfully finishes molting. :p

5. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

I'd say the best thing to do is to put him in a hidey, like a cave or somewhere dark, facing away from the light.

Hopefully your wil guy'll be ok!!! :eek:

Gluck!

Meg

6. momofboyz

momofboyz (Micro Crab)

Well, I put a water bottle over him, and I tried to put a hut over that, but it still lets light in. I'm afraid to leave the water bottle off because of the other crabs. They're all smalls, but JoJo can be kind of a bully. He's never hurt one of the other guys, but he definitely lets everyone know that he's the boss.

Hopefully in a couple of days Frankie will be stronger, and I can just let him fend for himself. I'm hoping that I've done everything that I'm supposed to.

7. Kaelink

Kaelink "Never Molted"

To prevent light, maybe try a boiled (of course) wash cloth over the water bottle/hut?

It should help to stabilize the water bottle, add a tougher defense to your little fort, keep out light, and give your other crabs a bit of play space. :p

Just make sure it stays of equal humidity in the water bottle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.