1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Um...wow. Help?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Winter, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winter

Winter "Never Molted"

Right, well, I filled out the little survey thing but my problem is oddly specific. I haven't seen my crabs in...how long ago was it that you last saw me? However long that's been, I have seen no signs of movement. Usually they at least poop in their food bowl or somehow manage to drag a whole clump of eco-earth in their water, but there's been nothing lately.

At first I assumed (hoped with all my might) that they were just molting. Today as I was viciously chasing a fly out of my room I remembered that one of my crabs, Jupiter, made a little window where I could see him. I looked and had a heart attack. For one he hasn't moved...at all since the last time I saw him. At first this was OK, cause again I assumed he was molting. Then to make it even scarier it looks like he's covered in what I would assume is mold. It's not chunky or anything, it looks like a spider web almost. There isn't even the slightest bit of movement even when I looked at him.

I just checked and at least one of them is definitely still alive...I know you're not supposed to bother them but I moved the tank and looked underneath and managed to locate my other two. One of them immedialty flipped out and crawled away when he saw the light. The other one...all I saw was white. It looked like a smooth mass of foam or bone or something. '
    I'm really confused, because the smell hasn't changed. I don't know what mold smells like, but my mom told me it was more of a musty chemical smell instead. And it does smell musty, there is no scary fishy smell.

Help? I don't know if I should leave Jupiter alone or dig him out. I haven't seen any signs of mold anywhere else, just where he is. Maybe it's just moisture from the little air pocket he made? I don't know.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">
    How long have you had the crab(s) in question? Since late August

Do you know what species they are? No

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? No, I got all my crabs from the same place

Tank Size: 10g

Lid Type: Mesh lid, but I have it covered with a big plastic thing, a book and a blanket. It's wonderful (not really, but it gets the job done)

Placement of tank in your home: On my desk in my room

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): Eco-Earth, might be a bit dry though I mist it with salt water, and I'm not sure exactly how deep it is, but definitely big enough for my deepest crab. Then I have a small section that's like beach rocks where the food and water is.

Type of Gauges: Analog?

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? Yes, it was about five off.

Placement of Gauges: Between the two substrates a few inches up.

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: 75-80 degrees and a bipolar humidity. Right now it's 70. Something about my room just about sucks out all the humidity.

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): One UTH on the side, useless thing really and just the heat of my room at the moment. All the heat gathers upstairs and the heat gets way too high if I add another heater.

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): Um. I have a lamp but I don't put it directly on them.

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? Yes, a little hidey hut.

Is there any metal in your tank? No

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? None at the moment except a stupidly large hermit crab shell that they have no hope of fitting into.

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? Filtered, dechlorinated tap water.

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind? Zoo-Med Water Conditioner

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? Yes, Zoo-Med Salt Water Conditioner

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? Water dishes and a sponge which I'm currently disinfecting.

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? About three (each).

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? Yes

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? Never have

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? Yes, well i did anyway...

How often do you handle them? Not often lately. -_-

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? ...I hope not. I don't think they have.

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? No, not that they move around enough to warrant exercise.

What types of foods do you feed? Meat, eggs, fruits/vegetables. They would have a well-balanced diet if they, you know, ate.

What do you use as a calcium supplement? Egg shells and sometimes I sprinkle a bit of calci-sand on their food.
    </span>

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Well, from personal experience I can tell you you would DEFINITELY know if there was a dead one because MAN do they stink! I am no expert I got my crabs a few weeks ago, but I think you should just leave them be, keep offering food and water, (Zoomed stuff is not good for your crabs) Get oceanic natural sea salt for the salt water is is just as cheap as zoo med but you get 100X's as much! It will help them molt easier. Have they been down the whole time or are they coming up at night when your sleeping? (Have they come up to eat) ?

3. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Exactly how long have you not seen these crabs?

The descriptions sound really bizarre and rather confusing. Foam and bone are two very different things.

Can you snap a shot or two? That would be the easiest way for us to tell.

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The last time I peeked and saw a successful molter (a while ago), I almost thought the exo looked brown, but it was most likely a trick of the light. I'd at least wait a full week to see what they look like again before you do anything drastic. Try to get pictures at least of the first one since he left the window open for you, and if nothing's changed by this weekend, then you could check on him. The problem is that EE will help to decompose a dead crab VERY quickly, and within a few months I've heard that you can't even tell a crab was in it. I have no experience with it, but there was one user on HCP last year who did a deep clean and found the shell of one of her missing crabs, but no crab. You may never smell it if they're buried and their cave isn't disturbed, so wait a week and check again and, if nothing has changed, VERY carefully slowly remove layers of EE until you find the crab and can check it out on your own.

5. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

I think that you should leave Jupiter alone. If he wants to, he'll come out. If he wants to die peacefully, let him. But if he's not dying then he's under stress. Just let him be. . .:):):)

6. Winter

Winter "Never Molted"

Hehe, yeah. Tyson's shell looked like a chicken bone to me. I keep forgetting he's changed shells and somehow I keep expecting to see him in his blue painted shell. Instead I saw a white shell and had this, "What the heck is that!?" reaction. Sorry if I confused anyone, but it was around 1 AM.

Gwendal and Tyson are alive and well. I looked under the tank and they both went, "SCATTER!" and start scrambling and digging around to escape from evil me. I had the 'joy' of hearing one of them banging around the rest of the night. I'll assume that means they're healthy and leave them alone for now. Tyson actually looks a bit lighter now, so maybe he molted. He's the smallest of all of them, so I assume it would be faster for him.

I promise I haven't touched them and I had no plans of it until I heard from you guys. The closet I got was checking the top of the substrate to make sure it hadn't gotten too dry and moving the log someplace else because it displeased me. Mostly all I've done is STARE very intently at Jupiter. I keep expecting him to suddenly explode or something. I'd never heard of mold or anything similar growing on them when they're molting...or anything much like this. I'll try to get a picture, but I asked mostly to see if anyone had heard of anything like this. xD I'll take the responses as a no.

I had a thought that Jupiter must be dead and I was seeing him decomposing but...that's odd. I mean I've never seen a decomposing anything, let along a crab but the white stuff is the confusing part. Also it has been about a week, and he does look perfectly whole except with the stuff on him now. Heck I can't even think of why there'd be mold in there unless he decided to be a rebel and brought some food down with him. I've had a hard time keeping the humidity up, let along having it high enough to cause mold.

(I just heard a little chirp just now. It sounds like they accidentally collided underground. It was the chirp they make when they try to make a show of walking backwards and end up toppling over someone or something)

7. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

I wouldnt worry to much, I hardly ever see my 3 hermies
    I just looked now from the end of my bed and I saw him staring at me, soon as I moved he ran back into his hut lol, they really do love to sleep during the day

8. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    Whoa, weird. I had 2 dead crabs when i did a deep clean, under soooooooo much sand/coco husk, i NEVER smelled them.....but....wow...trust me, it u took a few layers away and sniffed, you'd know. (they died from PPS, newbies) You would smell them, trust me. and decomposing crabs *shudder* are absoulutly horribal. i almost vomited. And wanted to cry at the same time......anyways, show us some pics.

9. jissxc

jissxc (Micro Crab)

mould ? mould couldnt grow on an exosceloton because it is made of a base and mould grows with acid maybe if u washed the tank out with vinegar and didnt rinse and dry it properly it might have stimulated mould growth salt kills mould so if u bathe them in salt water and wash EVERYTHING in the tank with salt u might be ok but wait until molt is over :) :) hope i helped over and out

10. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I would suggest that you take a picture. Also, I think I heard about a mirror trick somewhere.... Do any of you guys remember that post? It's was maybe 6 months ago. But someone, somewhere suggested flashing a mirror and catching the light. Apparently, when they see this light they move away from it. Also, cover the hole with a piece of cardboard or something to keep it dark. It's important for them to be in the dark when they molt.

11. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

Wow nothing iv ever hear of before... o.0 it would be nice to see some sort of picture though for those majorly almost profesional like crabbers out there.

12. Winter

Winter "Never Molted"

I'll try to get a picture today if I can. My mom somehow managed to lose the camera (I don't know how, it's not like she used it all that often). Also I have never cleaned the tank with vinegar, so that can't be it.

There's been no change with Jupiter (My mold-growing crabby). I noticed the Eco-earth around him is...weird. Darker then everywhere else. Maybe that don't mean much but it is something I've noticed. I tried the light thing and no movement whatsoever. If he has moved then he must have moved right back to his original position. I'm taking your advice and waiting a bit, until I get a picture. Everything else seems normal enough that I think it'll be OK. I mean there are no other signs of mold, just in that little spot. And my other two crabs don't seem to care much. They've picked their little areas underground and don't seem to really budge from the spot (they are alive haha).

Seriously, I'm hoping when I do post a picture someone here will be like, "Winter ya silly, that's normal." Then I can act all embarrassed and newbish and we can forget this. ;-; Jupiter is my favorite crab. Things don't look good for him though.

13. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Get all of the crabs out of the tank and give them a bath then give your tank a rinse

14. cococrisp

You can't do that to a molter. It's important they stay dark and still. Earlier back someone said that if you dug up a dead crab it would smell.... I think if you just pushed off a little bit of dirt of the surface, careful not to dig him up you might smell something by just going a little down and taking off that first layer of dirt.

15. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

yea i would do that, i didnt know if my hermie was dead, and i scratched off the first layer of dirt and smelled nothing, and just now we got the tank halfway off the stand and sure enough.. hermie molted!! i posted a pic in the molting forum if you wana see a pic of a molted cram exoskeleton, and you can see his lil foot in his shell.

16. cococrisp

Yep. I saw the pic. It's awesome. Did you get any pics, Winter?

17. emmac350

Winter, at this point I'd say you're justified in bringing him up to the surface, but only if you have an ISO prepared for if he is alive. Sometimes crabs can't heal without some intervention, and in this case, I'd say you'd be right to bring him up to see what's going on. I actually just discussed a case similar to this with a guy on HCP, who ended up bring up one of his crabs and the crab is now doing much better. It's a judgment call, but in your situation, I'd say bring him up.

18. cococrisp

Winter.... Any new news?? Hows he doing?

19. Winter

Winter "Never Molted"

Ahh, sorry I've been MIA for a bit. I decided to wait a bit before digging him up, and today was actually the set day I would do it. Then Gwendal appeared and beat me to it. I'm almost positive Gwendal is the one who dug him up, because Jupiter still isn't moving. Now that he's 'up' (not up, he doesn't look moved at all, just that top layer of dirt is gone) i don't smell any fish smell and I can see one leg and there doesn't appear to be any mold (thank goodness I was wrong!) I was worried Gwendal had tried to eat Jupiter, but he seems intact. It looks more like Gwendal was like, "Oh hey there." and wandered away to find food which I had forgotten to put out that night. So now he's feasting on salmon that I cooked up at the speed of light and I'm keeping and eye and ear out.

Good grief. I am just learning how darn loud crabs are. I hear him move around and I've been sitting here in bed for hours thinking I had a mouse running around.

But yes, there is no mold and I think I traumatized Gwendal in the process of finding this out. I'm still kind of concerned. Is he supposed to have Eco-Earth inside the shell? For a second I thought he was dead and that's why I couldn't smell anything.

20. emmac350

Do you have an ISO set up? If so, I'd take him out of the tank and put him in there - if nothing else, it'll help you to see what's going on and ensures that nobody will hurt him. He should not have EE inside of his shell, so I'm wondering if he's even wearing the shell. When crabs die, their abdomen (if they're left in the tank too long) will start to turn black as they begin decomposing - are you sure that's not what you're seeing?

Also, which crab are you hearing moving around? The one that was just dug up and looked moldy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.