1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by retardXcore, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

That's the one thing I don't like about Ebay....the best thing to do is wait until right before the auction closes and bid your maximum at the last possible second...I've "sniped" quite a few items that way;). All's fair in the auction world! Good luck on getting a tank!

2. retardXcore

retardXcore "Never Molted"

Oh! Apparently, one of the lads at my dad's work was talking to my dad about the tank he was looking at on eBay, and said that if we didn't win that auction, HIS dad had a 3 foot tank that he wasn't using, and he'd speak to him about it this weekend!

Exciting, eh? :D

Now, I must be off as I have a million and one things to do, and my mum's making awkward conversation with my grandma. I'll go and aid the situation. xDD

x

3. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

"parental unit"

4. krackersmom2

*fingers crossed on both hands* Hope you get the big tank! Sounds about like a 30 to 50 gallon (not sure in liters... are there 2 or 3 to a gallon?), but that's huge:eek: usually when someone has something laying around that they are not using and someone says ...hmmm....then they are inclined to say "go ahead"....at least maybe you can get it for a reasonable price. Let us know how it turns out. :D

5. retardXcore

I just used the conversion tool on Google (useful little thing) and a 3ft x 1ft x 1ft tank would be about 20 gallons. But add half a foot onto the height and that'd make it about 30 gallons, so it's likely to be somewhere in the region of 20-30g.

My dad's probably going to be able to speak to that guy today, so wish me luck, and let's all hope that his dad'll be nice and give it me free of charge, hehe

I'm so broke right about now.

I'm going to have to buy for two birthdays, give a bit towards my prom, buy a concert ticket, something for valentines day, ALL with about £40.

The ticket alone's £12
    The money for the prom is £5
    The birthdays should total about £20
    And I haven't got a clue about valentine's day. I'll just fob small and ginger off with some excuse about his birthday being too close to valentine's day for me to get him anything. xDD

(Small and ginger is my boyfriend. Don't ask. My dad called it him and it stuck. :|..)

6. krackersmom2

The prom....that was 17 years ago for me....seems like yesterday:rolleyes:
    Have fun and cherish the memories! and BEHAVE!

7. retardXcore

I will. :D

*makes angel face*

Muahaha.

The father doesnt seem to have had any news yet. I'ma play the waiting game now... :p

8. retardXcore

I've now got my mother to buy me a tank off ebay :D

It was a long tank, I can't remember the exact specs, but it ended up being around 34 gallons :)

It was a second chance offer. I was lucky to get it.

Proper chuffed. xDD

I can get my tank set up soon!

9. krackersmom2

Congratulations...we expect pistures when your set-up is ready!:D

10. retardXcore

Well, we've been to fetch it...

The house was FILTHY :| There were diapers, on the floor. On the floor. I kid you not.

The tank isn't much better. Still gravel on the inside, and the fluorescent strip light in the lid (Which is broken, much to my surprise...NOT!) is broken. There's some sort of hard residue on it as well, but I don't know much about it. I'm going to try and give it a clean next weekend, but I'm a little wary of using bleach or soap.

What would you suggest?

11. ScottishStu

ScottishStu Hi, I'm New Here!

hey man I'm from Scotland and i got my crabs from pets at home as well. thing is they have stopped doing them. all their items are at clearance prices, picked up dechloriner for 79p. they doing the same down ur way??

12. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Vinegar. You might need to let it sit for a while. Is the residue white? If so, it is calcium build up. Vinegar will take it off. Then rinse it really good. Then use salt water (the mixture for the crabs) to rinse and wipe dry. Any spots can be wiped with a paper towel dipped in salt water.
    At least that is how I clean my tank. :D

13. MrCrabbyDoDoDo

MrCrabbyDoDoDo Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm from the UK (north-west nr Manchester) and if pets at home really are gonna be stocking hermit crabs I can see myself making a trip there soon :)

14. krackersmom2

Vinegar worked well and it's organic...no harmful chemicals. I used vinegar to clean my new tank.

15. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

You can try vinegar.

16. retardXcore

Not as far as I know, because the tank's only recently been set up in my local branch. I doubt they'd be stopping selling them so soon after setting up the tank!

Yeah, I saw the setup myself about a month ago, but I suppose you'd need to check with your local branch to see if they'll be selling them :p

Well, it looks like vinegar's the general winner! I've gone over it with a sponge, one of the double sided ones with a slightly abrasive side, and it seems to be doing a good job. But it still needs a good soak to be honest! I've got the worst off, but I'm nowhere near finished yet ;)

17. ukcrab

ukcrab Hi, I'm New Here!

HI,

i too got my crabs from P@H and one died after only a week, I too saw the substandard tank they were being kept in and i too got sucked in and bought a 'starter kit',

After researching i have a 4ft x 1ft x1ft tank (bought from Ebay) and a 'proper set up with both salt and fresh water.

I am from Sheffield and all the P@H here are not supplying them anymore as soon as the last ones are sold thats that! (I have also heard the ones in Sheffield may have their pet licence revoked altogether as the rabbits, g,pigs and rats are not being provided with an acceptable standard of care, no water/food etc),

I recently went to a local reptile shop who supplied me with my new 3 and they are in a much better state and offered me lots of really useful info, I felt more comfortable buying from them, they have also said when i want more they will order them in for me!

So unlike me well done for doing your research i hope you have a great time with your new pals (when you get them)

Claire

18. ScottishStu

ScottishStu Hi, I'm New Here!

Hmmmm i had a kinda weird experience at P@H they didnt know much about them. was in the other day and they had no crabs left(think i cleaned them out) but now that they have none i noticed that a care sheet was prominently displayed next to the empty tank that they were kept in(i feel like being cheeky and asking for the shells they wont use, might be onto a winner there) the manager said you could keep 3 - 4 in that starter thing but i just went for a big tank straight away. The good news is there is another crabber in perth who keeps them.

infact i will enquire bout the shells 2moro seen as they wont be using them lol.try and haggle a few. free magpies anyone??

Also, summer time is coming up so if ur looking for non toxic playsand substrate keep an eye on

Buy Children's Play Sand 15kg Bag. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Outdoor toys.

It says it is non toxic and for £2.49, if it does what it says on the tin it will be cheaper than the other places

19. retardXcore

Excellent. :] The sand'll be really useful actually, as once I've given my tank one more rinse I'll be happy with it and I need to get it set up and running for a little while before I can get hermies.

I want to make sure the aquarium hood that I've got will keep in the humidity and suchlike. I don't want to get them home and then be horrified by the fact the humidity's plummeted!

But knowing my luck...hehe ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.