1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by retardXcore, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retardXcore

retardXcore "Never Molted"

Right then! I've finally made my way back here after a few months =/ I don't know what kept me away for so long.

Is there anyone here also hailing from the UK? I've noticed my local pet store (Pets at home) saying they're going to be stocking Hermit crabs in the near future. I jumped at the idea, (who wouldn't?) and from what I've found out so far they look like great fun and one day I'm determined to have a few of my own. But my parents say before I can get any I have to know my stuff. So I've been researching!

I have a small question regarding the pet store. The aquarium the store has allocated the crabs seems to be ridiculously small, perhaps a foot across, and 9 inches wide, probably about the same high. Is it just me, or does that seem tiny to you?

I appreciate any replies :)

Lois
    xxx

2. Dinashadow

Dinashadow Hi, I'm New Here!

Oh wow that does seem small. Do you know how many crabbies they are trying to put in that tank. It seems that one couldn't comfortably live in there. Anyways, good luck with your crabs when you end up getting them.

3. retardXcore

Hopefully they won't be putting too many in there! But seeing as it's a pet store and they seem to have baaaad reputations when it comes to the more unusual creatures, I'm a tad worried. I'll have to go back there soon and find out what they're doing with them.

And thank you for your reply :)

4. purplehippo_dog

purplehippo_dog Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi i am from Eastbourne in the Uk and got all my hermies from pets at home. The tank that i think you are on about, is really not suitable, I brought one. A plastic kind of tank, sold as a starter kit? They don't supply salt water for the hermies in there either only fresh. Saying that all the hermies i have had from there seem healthy, and i have had them nearly a year now i think. I have had problems trying to locate decent unpainted shells for some of my crabs now though, as pets at homes large ones are all painted. I found a company called Cornish Crispa that sell them online. I hope this has been a little helpful. Good luck.xx

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Welcome...glad you're doing some research. I would recommend a minimum of a 10 gallon tank w/a glass lid for a few small hermies. Those little plastic tanks are sold by pet stores that don't know proper hermit crab care. You will find great and accurate information HERE. Many pet stores just don't give out the right information. My pet store told me salt water was optional and not really needed, but I founf out otherwise here. Make yourself a checklist of all the supplies you need, get your crabitat set up and then introduce hermies to it.

6. retardXcore

Hello all! I'm planning on making my way down to Pets at Home later today. Hopefully at about noonish, but I don't know. It all depends on how soon I go to sleep, seeing as it's about 2AM :eek: Whoops. What can I say? Insomnia is a terrible thing.

That's actually what I was planning on doing! *is frightened* You can't read my mind or anything, can you? Haha :)

No, it's a tank set into a cupboard with sliding glass doors. The ones they keep the rodents in, at least, in my local "branch."

Ooer, thinking about that, they always seem to put sawdust on the bottom of the tanks for the rats and things, I hope they realise(d) that's not right before they put the hermit crabs in!

I'll get on the case when I go.

If the conditions for the poor hermies aren't at least of fair to middling standard, the staff will have one hysterical teenager on their hands :p

7. krackersmom2

The best thing you can do is if you see bad living or care, take the pet store a care sheet...or let us know where to send our letters of disapproval:D.
    Unfortunately, I'm not a mind reader, but great minds do think alike:p
    Good luck on finding everything you need...I'm not sure how prices are there, but here it would cost a teen a small fortune...lot of babysitting money...to get started...once you get started, they are pretty cheap to maintain if you don't go overboard. Play sand...the kind that goes in childrens' sandboxes makes and excellent, inexpensive substrate. Buying vegetables and unsalted/unsulphered natural foods are pretty cheap and much preferred to the store bought stuff. If you go to a natural or organic food store where they sell dry goods in bulk, that is the best way to go. I bought natural, unsulphered coconut...huge bag really cheap...got some raw, unsalted sunflower seeds, unsalted rolled oats, cornmeal....the sky is the limit as long as it's unsalted....you can give them all sorts of fruit and meat....give them very, very small pieces...you will hardly notice it has been touched after they eat. A small slice of banana, or a bite sice chunk of apple is more than enough. I love to watch them eat...they take bites smaller than a pin head! I can't wait to hear what variety your pet store carries. I would love to have a ruggie or some E's ...I'm kind of scared to try strawberries because of their sensitive nature. Have fun making your selection...always go for the active ones...if you get a shy one, be prepared for them to stay that way...has anyone else had that experience too?

8. retardXcore

Good news people!

I went in, and they had three hermies in their tank, which was thankfully much, much larger than I had expected. It was the same type as I said earlier, sliding glass doors set into a cupboard, but bigger. About twice the size of what I said earlier, if not more than that. I was pleased to say the least :)

They seemed to be on some sort of earthy substrate, perhaps coconut fibre, I'm not really sure, and there were plenty of things to climb up and keep themselves entertained with. There was also a fair portion of the tank that was filled with water, which I'm presuming was fresh.

Now onto the slightly less good news.

The substrate wasn't really very deep, considering the size of the hermies in there. It was perhaps an inch and a half deep, and there wasn't any salt water for them as far as I could see.

Also, the three hermies that were there seemed scared witless. They didn't move an inch the whole time I was looking at them! They were just tucked up into their shells.

Another thing. They had the hermit crab starter kits that purple hippo dog was talking about for sale, which I gave a disapproving glare at, right below the, you guessed it, PAINTED SHELLS.

Thankfully, there were many many more natural shells and there weren't that many available for sale. But nevertheless I was horrified :( So I found someone and complained.

And in fact the guy who I was talking to was really helpful. He seemed just as concerned as I was about the painted shells once I explained, and looked very perplexed as to why the substrate was so shallow.

He told me that it was deeper towards the back of the tank last time he looked, and it just looked like the hermit crabs had dug some of that out.

Whether that was a fib, I don't know, but he said he'd get on the case and he best do otherwise...*shakes fist* :p

And apparently I was the first person to be interested in the hermies. I can't see why. They're brilliant!

I was looking at tanks and things, and all the volume measurements are in litres over here, but I went in with the idea that 100 litres is roughly 20 gallons, and I have something in mind. I'll just squeeze the money out of my parents. *evil laugh*

Overall it was a good visit I'd say, and as soon as I have the crabitat set up I'll be winging my way back to pets at home :D

9. Dinashadow

Dinashadow Hi, I'm New Here!

Well it doesn't seem too bad. It's good you went up to say something. I've never done that (and probably wouldn't dare to). I would like to especially after some of the things I've seen. Good luck with your crabs though. :)

10. krackersmom2

Glad you're doing your homework....It does sound like 100 liters is about 20 gal. ...if 5 liters equals 1 gal? Have fun setting up your crabitat and place a pic when you get it set-up!:) Good job expressing your concern to the pet store. People have to know that hermies are NOT disposable pets.

11. retardXcore

My mum and dad have been looking about for some aquariums and general fish tank type things on the cheap on the internet, because my dad came up with the idea that "Hey, loads of people have crap they don't want in their garages, maybe someone'll have a fish tank!"

I rolled my eyes and went along with it.

In all fairness, an aquarium's an aquarium. So long as it's watertight and has some sort of lid I'll be happy. :)

And once I have somewhere to put everything I'll get on with it. I can't wait to get my hermies, and it's a when, not an if. :D

I agree completely! No hermie should ever have to live in one of those awful plastic boxes they're selling. It's just blatant disregard for the proper care of animals. How would the people who thought these little tanks up like to be taken from their home, shipped to a foreign country then purchased and crammed into a room the size of a closet for the rest of their lives? :(

12. krackersmom2

There's a thought...just like I wanted to stuff that guy in the hermit crab video somewhere. We have websites here that you can get stuff that people don't want for free...called Freecycle...I bet they have one over there across the pond. I love your last post ...also the one's from our friends in Australia...sometimes I pick -up on words or phrases that are special to your homeland! I love the variety of friends on this website:D
    If I ever use the phrase y'all...it's a Texas thing:rolleyes:...I use it all the time in speech. I had fun trying to lose my Texas accent when I lived in Pennsylvania...I did a pretty good job...I was working as a sub and was speaking with a principal at a school and he looked at me funny and asked me where I was from? He said he detected a "bit" of an accent in my speech....I bet it was just a "bit";)

13. retardXcore

Freecycle is amazing. That's what my dad's been looking on....I think. *shifty eyes*

aha, I love everyone's different local dialects and accents. I have a friend who lives up in Liverpool, and he has the most hilarious accent. But then again, I'm from the Black Country area so I apparently sound "common as muck," according to my parents who come from further afield.

It's funny thinking that people think I speak the Queen's English, like all the Bonds and the stereotypical British people on TV and in films. What I'd give to have a posh accent...It'd be great. XD

And I do apologise if the phrase "I ay" ever turns up in any of my posts...It seems like the sort of thing that might slip out by accident.

I ay means "I haven't," if you come from round my area :p

Specially if yow'm reppin Wolvo ayit man. ;)

Haha.

14. krackersmom2

HUH??? I bet you and I would have an interesting conversation with our accents. Ya'll have a good night. Ya'll = You all .....I wonder what our crabs think when we speak to them? They probably only care about the overall tone of our voices.

15. retardXcore

I've always thought so, with most animals. If you sound happy then no matter what you're saying, they'll respond positively.

Like I call my dog a "bloody stupid idiot" occasionally. She just wags her tail.

I rest my case. :p

And thankfully, my accent isn't all that strong, but a lot of my friends wouldn't be understood by people from, say, London.

And that's only about a hundred miles away, which isn't far on the scale of things..Weird how two people who live so close and speak the same language might as well be talking gibberish to one another.

16. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

retardXcore

You are an absolute riot. I love people with a sense of humor.

The accent part is so true. People can't usually guess where I'm from. I've lived in Connecticut most of my life, so some of the things I say have a Boston twang and others a New York one. And what's with this y'all. Everyone knows it's youse. As in "If youse don't pay up, Mad Mike heres gonna break your kneecaps!!

Back to the serious side. The substrate issue. If stores give the crabs enough substrate, they'll moult. You can't sell a moulting crab since you can't se it. But people will put their hands in the tanks and pull up moulting crabs, even if it's unwittingly. So I've come to the conclusion there should be some substrate, but not gravel, but not enough to moult in.

G'day!

17. retardXcore

Thanks for your input, Hildegarde! That sounds like a reasonable explanation for the substrate issue. I may go back to the pet store today, it depends what time my father gets home from work.

And it's nice to meet someone who understands my humour :p Most people I know just look at me funny when I try to crack a joke. xD

I've joined my local freecycle group and I've been checking my yahoo mail every five minutes or so, just waiting on an aquarium of some sorts.. I'll post a "wanted" message soon enough.

Just as soon as I find out if anyone's replied to my dad's message. :)

xxx

18. krackersmom2

It took a couple of weeks, but someone finally responded to my Craigslist post and offered up a 30 gal. for a cheap price. Keep waiting, all it takes is for the right person to see your wanted ad.;)

19. retardXcore

I went to the pet store today and I'm now under the impression that the hermies that were in there were either hiding, or someone got to them before I did D:

I think I'll go downstairs now and pester my father to look on his yahoo mail to see if anyone's replied to his fish tank request, and if not, I'ma put a message up myself with more specifications.

All the parental unit put was

"Daughter fancies keeping hermit crabs. Doesn't necessarily need to be watertight."

*rolls eyes*

You just can't teach them, can you? :p

20. retardXcore

A little update on the tank...ness.

I was going to get a 3ft x 1ft x 1ft, but my dad refused to drive the 80 mile round trip. :p

So now we're looking on ebay and excitedly bidding on random fish tanks in the area.

Good, eh? ;)

We keep getting outbid though, so...bummer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.