1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two crabs and a betta

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by wickedannabella, May 3, 2007.

1. Went to Petco tonight to pick up supplies for my new 37G tank that I will be setting up this weekend.  OF COURSE I had to peek into the crab tank...

While poking around, this little one literally came over to investigate me.
    Dana has named her PICKLES...  She's recently molted with wicked sharp toenails and fuzzy!

[img=263x300]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/Pickles.jpg[/img]

Then I looked in the bottom tank and there was one lonely straw who popped right out the minute I picked him up.  Meet Marco... :straw:

[img=300x250]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/20LMarco.jpg[/img]

Then my daughter started bugging me again about a fish.  :hula: She used to have a gold fish (Dorothy) at my parents but it died in about a month.  I really didn't want to go through that again.  The sales girl says, "Get her a Betta."  I don't know anything about keeping a Betta and she says, they're easier than goldfish.  I look at her like she's pulling my leg, but then I think about how they keep them in the store and figure, Okay.

So Dana picks out this little guy who she immediately called BLUES CLUES...go figure. (She's three, she has a limited world....lol!)

[img=300x225]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/May0107014.jpg[/img]

So, anyone who has a Betta (Star?  Don't you?) please PM me with anything I should know.  Do they like a place to hide in their tank?  I already have a "plant".  Is there a water plant I should get?

2. CrabbinQueen

CrabbinQueen (Small Crab)

Wik - go to www.bettatalk.com. Faith is a reputable breeder in the CA area and there is TONS of information about betta care on her website. She should answer most, if not all, of the questions you have on betta care. They really are quite simple. Clean fresh water is the most important thing you can provide above all. I have my guy in a 2.5 gallon hex tank with a filter so I don't have to change the water quite as much. Set up was really cheap, like less than 20 bucks, at PetSmart.

Good luck! He's a pretty fella! :)

3. Yeah, we got a really nice little tank, but I was wondering about live plants or whatever...do they like hidey places???

4. CrabbinQueen

CrabbinQueen (Small Crab)

Faith doesn't recommend live plants because of disease issues and icky stuff like that. I tried it despite her best efforts to convince me otherwise. I'm stubborn like that. It was a nasty mess and I pitched them within 2 days. They do like plants however. I bought some plastic plants to put in my tank. It's really important that they have a place that rest that does not have much current from the filter. My little guy likes to hide under leaves and rest. Sometimes he even lays on the tops of them. It's totally cute! Hope that answers your questions! :)