1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Babies Rescued!!

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by alli'smommy, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I went to Petland last night to buy some shells and glanced at the hermit crab cage. I was horrified to find two little babies with NO substrate, NO food, No water, and NO place to hide!! I asked the sales girl why they didn't have anything and her excuse was "they're never here long enough to bother". I told her I wanted both of them and she picked them up and started shaking them violently to see if they were dead. I said if they were dead they'd fall out, you don't need to shake them. She then proceeded to put them in her hand and "clap" to get them to come out and said "these guys are really p***ed off". I said I would be too, if someone were treating me this way. Just put them in the box and let me go. As I was checking out, she tried to give me a lecture on proper care of crabs. She said she didn't want small animals going to homes where they would be tortured. I said 'kinda like you were doing back there?". I think she was p***ed off when I left:D. Oh yeah, she also said the plain blue and green shells they were in were natural b/c they didn't have a picture on them!! How absurded!
    Anyway, just wanted to vent. My two new babies are doing great--they are girls-no names yet!! They immediately went into new shells as soon as I put them in the iso. tank!! Poor babies are eating and drinking ALOT. And recovering from the torture chamber that is Petland.

Kinda makes me sad to think how the other animals are treated:(

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Yep ... some stores seem like they will never learn. I wrote a letter to one of mine though and they actually changed the conditions. I included a basic care sheet and the next time I went in, it was all done up. Not really good substrate, but a change none the less.

Congrats on your new saves! Hopefully they can now get a chance to destress and come out of ISO a month from now healthy and strong!

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I never see changes but it never stops me from trying- please post pics of your new darlings!!!!!!!!! :D CONGRATS they are lucky to have you

4. alli'smommy

I'll post pics soon. I started to take pics last night, but thought they'd been through enough for one day without me messing with them and flashing lights in their faces!!
    I named them--Daisy and Shellie. They're PP's and precious!!!

5. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

Congrats on the new additions

6. alli'smommy

I took some pics of the new babies last night. I hope to get them posted soon! Shellie is most definately NOT shy, however, Daisy is still not up to a photo shoot!!!

7. victoria

victoria "Preparing For First Molt"

Sum people do not get it. they hert hemys so much my hermit crab I got at a pet store the pet store is named:scales'n tails there was no food and to much water. gust wanted to tell you:D

owner of victoria

8. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

I believe there was a petland in my home town that was closed for selling tainted dog food when that crisis was going on.

9. alli'smommy

I have heard alot of bad rumors about PetLand. Like they support "puppy mills" and other horrible stuff, but like I said, they are rumors. I hate to make a judgement on rumors, but I know what I see in our PetLand and it ain't "all good" alot of times. :(

10. crabbychazzy

crabbychazzy Hi, I'm New Here!

Petland here is horrid too!!
    I just went today intending to get just one, and asked the guy if there were any crabs in the back, because the tank was empty. He brings out a small cardboard container, and dumps all of them out by tipping the box upside down into the cage. I couldn't believe it! About 20 of them in that small box, and dumped out like that, Poor babies! They were all in painted shells, they didn't even have any natural ones in stock for sale. There was no water in the cage, and not even a place for food. I asked about it, and was told they take them in the back at night to feed them. Yeah right! So I wish I could have taken them all, but I took the three that were way too big for thier shells, I'm hoping they are troopers and make it after all of that! Petland = evil

11. alli'smommy

Yeah, they told me that they feed them in the back at night too. And that they don't like to put water in their tank because they get it everywhere and it stinks. I was like clean it out once in a while then! GRRRRRRR

12. hermie101

hermie101 (Micro Crab)

never heard of petland ..... but it sounds like thay are horrable to thier pets. shame on them!

13. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

I've heard of Petland, but I've never seen one around here... I live in St. Louis, Missouri (in the midwest). Where are the Petland stores located? Are they in one part of the country or spread all over?

14. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Glad you rescued the hermies! That sucks when the pet stores treats them like disposable animals. I can't believe that girl was shaking them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.