1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to wean hermies off the commercial food???

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by crabbiepants, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbiepants

crabbiepants (Micro Crab)

My guys are having a hard time with the food thing I am trying to wean them off of it because of all the bad stuff. I am having alot of different things available I mix things with the crap food and they still pick out that commercial food. I am actually on there schedule I am up all night and sleep all day(don't ask my bf use to be on second shift so we are still on that schedule... lol) so I see what they are doing and eating. Of course I have one that will only eat the natural stuff and he is in iso from loosing some limbs. But my main tankers are having real issues. Any ideas???:confused:

2. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I would just stop the commercial food all together. Just keep changing there food and when they get hungry they will find something they like. As long as you keep putting the commercial food in there they will keep eating it. There is stuff that they put in it that attracts the hermies to it to make them eat it, so just throw it.

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Yeah, that's what I had to do too. Throw the commercial stuff away and just keep changing their food daily. I have tried so many things. Mine are still somewhat picky eaters. They also won't eat the same stuff all the time. When I first put shrimp in the tank, Batman sat there for over an hour stuffing his face. Now he just turns his nose up! Soo, no more shrimp for a while.

4. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

my crabs are picky, lol very picky, i get diff food items from vicki's store infact i'm ordering more unique foods from her site probably tonight. stuff that i would never even try. lol plus the fresh fruit and make different meals. one food item that all of my crabs love for some odd reason is Plain Rice Cakes. in the morning pieces of rice cakes are scattered all over the place. lol

I also have a journal that has 3 sections, one section is for my crabs, i have their names, date i got them, species, date when died. and under that i have started a section of receipes i have tried with the hermies and i keep track of the foods they like. so you could always keep a record of every food you try and how much they like it. but yes, like the others, throw the commercial food away. i will never ever think to use that stuff again.

5. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Feed them Bananas,or strawberries. Also vckums has an online store ask her.

6. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I would just get rid of the commercial food, as others have already said. If you keep trying new foods, eventually you'll hit one or two they like that you can build on. Sometimes it takes a couple of times for them to experience a new food for them to actually try it and like it. Foods I've found that mine love are hard boiled egg yolks, corn meal, freeze dried shrimp, spirulina powder, brine shrimp, tubifex worms, plankton, mango, and raisins among others. epicureanhermit.com - Home is where I get most of my food ideas.

7. crabbiepants

Thanks everyone I just threw that stuff away. Last night I found some frozen strawberries in my freezer and I let a couple of them thaw and put one in there for the hermies and I mixed some powdered kuttle bone with it. I am pretty sure I have ruggies and I think everyone I have are males. But anyway I had one rug named Dusty (after the three amigos) kind of jump up and down when he started eating it, it was funny. I also got some stuff ordered from Vicki like 20 something dollars worth of food. I am going to try the hard boiled egg yolk right now. My isoed hermie is only eating mango that I boil in dechlorinated water, it makes it all mushy and he likes it mushy and I put some kuttle bone powder or broken sand dollars in it and he is turning around rapidly. They also seem to really like worm castings mixed in with their food. I put it in the Sand and Eco Earth that is in there and they actually dig through to get it out so I started keeping a little in with their food. I had one of my pps throw strawberry all over the glass last night I don't know if that means he liked it or hated it. I can't wait to get the new food from Vicki and thanks for all the help..:D

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Do you keep a dish of the castings in there? I rotate mine in and out. It's either just castings or castings I grew some seeds in it. They go bonkers. Let us know how they like their foods!

9. crabbiepants

I thank you so much. I put the boiled egg yoke and some grated carrots in there last night and my guys have went crazy. I woke up to find egg all around the dish and 4 hermies sitting in it eating. Yeah I keep the casting in there every other day or so since I got it. They seem to like that too. But I mix some crushed sand dollar or cuttle bone in with it. They seem to be liking everyone's suggestions I am giving them some raw shrimp and banana tonight we will see how they like that. I don't want them to get use to the same foods and stop eating. Thank you so much they actually eat the natural stuff more than they did the crappy food.

10. crabbiepants

They love the egg yoke it is so funny to watch them grab some and run away... lol I like trying new things and I just got the food from you vicki and I can't wait to try it. Thank you all so much for the info.:D

11. crabbiepants

This can be closed now. Thanks :)

12. Switchblade_Brigade

Switchblade_Brigade "First Molt, A Success"

In many cases ditching commercial food is a good idea because of ingredients that can potentially harm your crab, but depending on the brand and if it is one you can trust it may not have anything harmful in it. Also think about having a balanced diet with your new all natural one you have going on, because some but not all commercial foods (I use FMR and trust it pretty well) have most nutrients hermies need in them, while yours may cover only some of their needs. Well, anyway I hope your hermies have a good time eating those strawberries and egg yolk, sounds good.

13. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I have to disagree!!! I've found that my crabs have been healthier...more active, more/successful molts, brighter/deeper colors, etc....since I've ditched all commercial food quite a while ago!! Also, I've heard FMR food is as bad for crabs as any of the other commercial "hermit crab" foods!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.