1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying something new! please reply!

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by cluelesscrabber, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cluelesscrabber

cluelesscrabber (Micro Crab)

I'm trying out a simple recipie for a main food using some dry ingredients! I'm not sure if it's a complete diet, so please tell me if i can add something (must be a DRY ingredient)

powdered cuttlebone
    unsalted almonds (crushed)
    unsalted sunflower seeds (crushed)
    non-instant oats
    unsalted walnuts
    *possibly dried seaweed*

this will be a main food and left in the tank at all times since i don't think it can rot like wet fresh foods do. It might be be mixed up with a teeny bit (3-4 pellets, i guess) of FMR hermie food and a small pinch of FMR treat.

2. zenoscribe

zenoscribe "Never Molted"

Why do you want to create a dry staple food? Where's the challenge if you don't cook for your crabs? (Or mash, chop, & scramble.)

How about adding some spirulina flakes & maybe some freeze dried krill, shrimp, & blood worms for variety.

3. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

So far so good...How about some dried (organically grown)flower petals?Say....hibiscus?Red rose?
    Spirulina flakes are a great idea.I'm trying to get my dad to order me some.

Also, I wouldn't leave it in there all the time. Three days in a row at the most, unless you have herbs in the dish. But I have no experience with that, so you would have to ask someone else.

Dried fruits and veggies like carrots, coconut, and red raspberries make it smell and taste more appetizing, and are also very nutritious.

I'd stay away from the FMR stuff period.I think the main ingredient in there is corn meal anyway, so why not add some of that?

4. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

I found (hamster section) a mix of carrots and alfalfa that my guys seem to like. I also went to Whole Foods and got a dozen different herbs/flowers. I managed to try out a dozen different herbs any only paid like 3.00 which is nice since I didn't know what my guys would like. Of course http://www.epicureanhermit.com has oodles of good stuff. If you haven't already, you should check it out!

5. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I would definetly add a source of calcium to that, like some crushed cuttlebone or eggshells, especially if it is going to be a staple. You can sometimes even find cuttlebone in the pet isle (near the bird stuff) at your supermarket- it's super cheap, and will last a long time. I'd also consider making it in smaller amounts & try adding different things to the basic recipe. Just fresh fruits, nuts, veggies, unseasoned meats, peanut butter, honey- things you have around the house at the time. This way you can get a feel for what they like & don't like.
    I make different dry mixtures and toss them onto some fresh fruit -like a thin slice of apple(that's a favorite here). If your mom doesn't have one of those little $2 hand choppers maybe you can look for one in the cooking utensil section of the grocery store. Once you have one of those you will want to try all sorts of things.

6. cluelesscrabber

yeah. sorry i forgot to say some powdered cuttlebone (i have a big one which i use already in their commercial poo) Updating post accordingly

7. cluelesscrabber

well I guess i can add a bit of corn meal but im not sure. I have a teeny tiny bit of FMR food left (i recently spilled almost a third of it) and a bunch of FMR treat, which after reading the ingredients i belive is safe to use, plus it's got lots of dried fruits. I'll add some of it when i make the food.

about leaving it the tank for extended periods. The FMR instructions say to only leave food out for 2 days, but i find that it's OK for the crabbies to eat after that. I change the food every week.

8. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

FMR doesn't list all the ingredients. Also, it's been discovered that something is added to the treat (I think it's pheremones) that makes the crabs only want to eat it.

9. cluelesscrabber

hmm......well, these pheremones make the treat addicting, then. However, the main ingredients ARE healthy, so unless pheremones poison them, would it still be safe to use......?

10. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Unfortunately, they won't want to eat other foods b/c of it. Since the treat is an incomplete diet, this isn't a good thing.

And since the complete diet (green label) has some nasty preservatives in it, that makes it not so hot either.

Darn FMR.

11. cluelesscrabber

hmm..darn :p

12. cluelesscrabber

the phermones could explain why my hermies are eating soo much food and making a huge food spill in the prosses!

Also, I've been seving my hermies the FMR treat for a very long time (mixed with FMR food) and the hermies dont seem addicted to the treT...

13. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I keep reading this here.. I have never used the food, but I am really interested where this information came from.

14. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I heard this from Kerie (aka Julia Crab/Kali Ma). I am not sure what her source was.

As for the original food list posted -- I would definitely add dried fruits and veggies, dried shrimp and perhaps also dried bloodworms, and maybe some sort of all-natural cereal (no added sugars or salt). I found some all-natural cereal in the bulk bins at Whole Foods. It looks like Cheerios without the sugar, and my crabs seem to enjoy hiding the little loops around the tank. ;D

15. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

One ingredient I always add to dry mixes is cellulose. I once asked Julia Crab if there was any food I could feed my crabs so they would not prey on each other during a molt and she emailed me that it is protein, calcium and cellulose. So I always add either oak leaves, oak bark, or grated corncob. My crabs eat these things willingly. Hope this helps. Nancy

16. reader101

reader101 Banned

I think I saw this previously, and cross-referenced cellulose. (I, by the way, have followed Julia's experiments in natural foods as a complete follower, so am not questioning her!).
    Here's my question: Is cellulose not the natural fibre found in natural foods? I.E., celery, vegs, plant fibre? A naturally, well-balanced diet should contain all of these ingredients, and not require "extra sprinkled over their food".
    JMO

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

Definately check out Julia's site. It's got alot of information there on creating recipes for your crabs foods.

As for FMR, toss it. Not all pet stores have to list every ingredient. That should scare you off it right away. Wouldnt you want to know whats in the food you eat? I have not fed my crabs any commercial food for almost 2 years now and they are extremely healthy.

18. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I believe that crabs know what they need in terms of dietary items. I feed my three large crabs pieces of oak tree bark, which they always drag into their hidey huts. Ms Julia gave me the three examples of cellulose that I have consistantly used. This way I never worry if they are getting enough. It's kind of like what people do with powered cuttlebone.

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

Exactly! They know what to eat and keep offering the bark. Mine drag it off too. Im not sure if you mentioned the 3 examples Julia gave you, so can you repeat them so others may know and use them as well for their crabs? Thanks!!!

20. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Oak tree bark?? Is this something you can find in a store, or just something you pick up from outside? Sorry for the stupid question!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.