1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toronto

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by Missy, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

Hi I was wondering if anyone was from Toronto (Canada) and knew of any good places to go for crab stuff. So far big al's aquarium has been the best place in terms of tanks and fixtures however Petsmart and Walmart have terrible selections.

The walmarts where i live have just discontinued all their crab stuff and no longer have a section with any crab stuff (besides their bin of discontinued junk not like they had a great selection to begin with)

2. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

Petcos everywhere usually sell hermies, although i don't know how many there is in Canada =/ check over at www.petco.com!

3. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

yeah nothing in canada =[ I purchased shells from the states and it cost me 32$ just for shipping alone but I guess I have no choice :p

4. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

oh my, that's ridiculous!:eek:

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Any craft stores? Michaels? Hobby Lobby? JoAnn Fabrics? Hancock Fabrics? WalMart? I've seen bags of shells in all of those places, maybe try them?

6. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

haha thanks emma I'll try michaels the next time. Does anyone know anything about hemp? I purchased two balls of hemp from walmart. After making a net out of it for my crabs I noticed a really strong smell coming from the hemp (kinda smells like yucky goat pee) so I decided to wash the various nets I made and tons of yellow came off of the material. I then boiled it twice until there was as little yellow coming from the fabric as possible but wasn't able to make the water completely clear after rinsing. Is this a dye? or perhaps something they use to give the strings more form? And is it safe to put in the tank?

7. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

The hemp I use does that too...I soak it until there's no more color. Like, soak it, empty the water, rinse the net, soak it again...repeat until no more yellow stuff. I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't have me too worried as mine have had their hemp in the tank since March and they climbed all over it, ate it, etc. with no problems.

8. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

such a repulsive smell to have to sit there in front of for several hours at a time to make these nets. Do you know if duct tape is safe to have around in the tank? Even just a small strip of it. If not do you have any suggestions?

9. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

depends on what you need it for, I dont recommend putting tape where they can get at it they taste everything, I swear they are worse than toddlers lol
    But I cant really recommend an alternative until I know what you need it for :)

10. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

I have a hydrometer that reads facing inside the tank so I constantly have to open the tank to see the readings for temp and the humidity so i was thinking about just taping it to the glass facing outwards so i could read it easily without having to disturb them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.