1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Topside molt?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by lbanimals, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbanimals

lbanimals Hi, I'm New Here!

I have two golfball sized E's that may be premolt. Neither are buried, only maybe a half inch into the substrate (EE).

Bo was really active when I got him (5 weeks ago) and was always climbing the walls. The last week or two he has been incredibly lethargic to the point I thought he had died a few times. Was sitting leaning really far out of his shell (which is too small also). Got really ashy and now the tank smells funny (not fishydead but apparently 'molty'). Has smelled funny since then. Was acting funny at least a few days prior to that.

So has been acting strange for approximately three weeks now. Is currently buried down just a half inch or so, tucked back in his shell just over his eyes, so that his legs are out.

Luke was buried under from when Bo started acting funny until just a week ago. But then he came up and was alert and shiny and I really meant to move him into the main tank. The next day or so he was sitting in the same spot Bo had been in and Bo was elsewhere, still looking ashy. Luke is lethargic now and starting to look ashy. And sitting in the same exact spot Bo was in the week prior. Luke is in his shell normally, Eyes up, just somewhat cloudy.

They are currently in a 10 gallon, along with two Micro PPs who are buried under. They are all being ISOed before the main tank and the rest of their tankmates have been moved into the main as they come up from destressing.

The food hasn't been touched in days, doesn't look like the water has been either. I saw one of the Micro PPs digging around on the bottom of the tank yesterday so I know he is at least alive. Luke is a wild wild crab. I didn't move him to the main tank immediately on him coming up from destressing as he is just crazy. Even looking a little ashy he made a run for it yesterday when I changed the food/water. His shell is somewhat small also and he is so crazy that I hate to handle him. Definitely a crab that shouldn't have been caught.

Both are pictured below the day I got them, end of February.

[​IMG]

They are both in the back of the tank on top of the substrate? Is this normal? Do E's often topside molt as I've heard Indos do?

Anyone here have a golfball sized E that has done something similar. I am somewhat worried as these crabs were both somewhat like rampaging beasts before and now do NOTHING.

[​IMG]

Here was Luke on March 19th (in the afterbath box while the tank was cleaned for mites). Around when Bo starting smelling molty and really acting funny. Luke was still normal.

Any ideas? I've never had a topside molt, or an E molt for that matter. Of course, it had to be the big guys.

2. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

I had to say those are so cute!!!

3. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

When I just got hermit crabs (they were E's the size of a golf ball) most of them molted on the top of the sand so maybe its because there new to the tank i dont know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.