1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

topside molt, what do I do???

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by cpcmember2000, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpcmember2000

cpcmember2000 Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, so I have already done a couple things... I just hope they are right. My one E molter. I noticed everyone crowded around him and so I moved him. I read that they eat their exo for the calcium so I took that and put it in iso with him right over it. How long will it take for him to start moving around again/harden up?

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I have not had any topside molts, but my crabs that have buried (pingpong to golfball size) usually rest for a day or two before they start to eat the exo. It will take them about 3 days to complete it and then they usually rest and harden for another 5-7 days before they resurface. This will all depend on the size crab you have as well. The bigger guys take longer to do all of the above. Mine all molt in the main tank, so they may stay buried a bit longer to ensure they are hard enough before coming back up.

3. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

nothing to add, just a morale booster, try to be patient and hang in there.
    I am going through my "first" molt and it is very stressful-good luck to your crabbie.

4. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

ive ha a lot of topside molts, and I would have probably done the same as you did. whats better tho I havent perfected it yet, is to put an iso OVER the crab in question, like a small KK with air holes, or a soda bottle cut open.

It could take a few weeks, depends on the size of the crab.

5. cpcmember2000

cpcmember2000 Hi, I'm New Here!

It was a small crab... I checked on things today because there was the dreaded smell from the iso. It had to have died within the past day or so. I am off to the pet store tomorrow to buy a new one so that my nieces have an even number of crabs each.

6. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

You know CPC, I have noticed when I had a crab die that the others "gathered" around it like you described. I think they smell the death smell almost right away. I am sorry to hear that the little guy didn't make it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.