1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took out calcisand put in EE all crabs are down!!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Bugaboo, Feb 22, 2011.

1. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Mine started liking crickets and grasshoppers when I would catch them in my yard. Then I would freeze them for a few hrs. to kill them. they use bto eat their legs and would drag the rest off.

2. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Hm I never thought of that. Haha its a lot cheaper but a lot of work haha :hahahaha:
    I'm excited I just got a new humidifier for my tank and a powerstrip that'll turn my devices on and off automatically while I'm at work=) makes me worry a little less about things=) ill be posting pics of my crabitat and all my hermies soon=) just gotta make a photobucket account=)

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:eeeek: I won't touch grass hoppers or crickets! ick ick ick....

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I dont touch them when their alive. I catch them with a minnow net and put the net in a freezer bag. Then it goes in the freezer. I do touch them when their dead.

5. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Haha I don't mind toching them, its just how difficult they are to catch if you don't use a net (the net is a very good idea!)

6. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well I've been keeping track of who's been down(and up) for 25 days now. And a couple of them have been down the whole time(that I've seen I work during the day). But I'm kind of excited to see if ill have any molts.

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Depending on their size 25 days is not a long time unless they are small. I have had small one come up after 3 wks. but would go back down 3mo. later. If their small they will molt several times in a year. If their med. size then they could be down another month.

8. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

That's what I figured, one of them is small the others are mediums.  So I know it could be a lot longer. I just want to be prepared I geuss haha.

9. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Questuin, is it a bad idea to put in more EE when some hermies are down?? Will it stress them??? I just want to make sure they have enough if they decide to molt..

I saw little mikey eating last night(he has on a shell that's too big for him haha), he likes the bloodworms=) and last night iput some shells in woth the teenies and mini switched=)  it made me happy=)

10. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

If you put the ee in the tank a little at a time and not just drop it in there it should be fine .I have done it too cause it wasnt deep enough in a couple of spots. After they molt I do a deep clean and I dont put in as much ee untill twards the end of the year. Do it gently. The air pocket they are in will move with them as they surface.

11. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Thanks=)