1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took out calcisand put in EE all crabs are down!!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Bugaboo, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Okay ill have to get some of that declorinator. Well I'm still fighting with the main tank to eat. I actually niticed they may like chicken. Its a start=) my new littlle ones eat like champs=)

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Mine always seem to eat the most before and after they molt. Otherwise they go long periods of time without eating. They might be nibbling and you dont know it if they dont mess up the food dish. Hermit crabs eat very little at a time. There are some things that they love and will end up dragging it out of the bowl(like the dehydrated rabbit I got from the addiction store). Otherwise I cant really tell unless they walk through it.Or if I see them eating. Give it time.... Have you tried millet seeds(from the bird section at a pet store)? Mine have eatten them and not eat anything else sometimes.

3. Holly12

Holly12 Guest

Wow!! I thought that it was okay because I have use it for 3 years and never had any problems okay so is this API water conditioner found in the fish ile? at the pet store?

4. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

mine never mess up their food dish that's why I can never tell and I don't see them out much. I was wondering the same thing about what isle to find the api at the regular store like walmart?

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

You can try walmart it would be in the fish isle but I dont think they carry it. I got mine at petsmart.

6. Holly12

Holly12 Guest

I got it now at petsmart I can not belive that I was useing this stuff and yet it could have killed my crabs but I guess I was lucky on that one. And the reason I had it was becuse back 3 years ago a girl who had hermit crabs said it was okay for them to use. And until now I thought it was it's a good thing I found out from you trixie that it was not okay to use. I want to thank you for saying that because I would have kept on useing it and oneday my crabs would have all dead. So a very big hug from me to you because you have save me from loseing my crabs. :huggies:

7. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Its good that you found out=) I didn't know it either though. Am I a wimp for being scared to put my teeny crabs in the main tank with the others who are larger than them??

8. Holly12

Holly12 Guest

How tiny are they? becuase I have 2 small ones in my small/medium crabs and they all get along just fine now if they are really small then I can see why you are scared lol.

9. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well the new teeny oned are dime size or a bit smaller. My other 8 in the main tank (one is a little bigger than a dime) the rest are about quarter size or maybe just a bit bigger. So if the teenys got to moltihng or something it'd be pretty easy for them to become a snack=/ so what should I do?

10. Holly12

Holly12 Guest

Well if they are about dime size then if you are scared then leave the really small ones in there owen tank and wait until they bigger. Or wait untile they molt then maybe try moving them in with the other crabs they should be okay as long as you the substrate high enough for all the crabs to go down if they want to molt then you should be okay. :flower:

11. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

They are more likely to fight with the ones around their own size cause of the natural instinct to fight for shells. They dont care about crabs that have too small of shells for them. They try to force them out by rocking them and useing their big claw. In fact they might become buddys. I hade a small one that would follow my largest one everywhere she went.

12. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

So if the teeny ones molt in the main tank without me knowing do you think they'll get attacked??

13. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

They arent molting right now are they? I have never taken a crab out of the main tank to molt.

If you like I will post a pic of the food I pick up from petsmart. It might be easier to find that way?

14. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

No they aren't molting right now they're still in iso cause one dug down so I don't want to transfer them until he comes up.
    Sure that'll help=)

15. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Here is a pic of the things I get at petsmart. Also the food from the addiction store. It is their main staple diet.
    [img width=400 height=300]http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj472/60trixie73/food001.jpg[/img]
    [img width=400 height=300]http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj472/60trixie73/food002.jpg[/img]

16. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Thanks=) that helps tons!=)

17. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

uhg! I have those cricket things, they smells so bad! my crabs won't go near them! another wasted food! I got some organic baby food tonight, mango, chicken, and others, bu golly they better eat!

18. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I think the hermies are finally starting to warm up to the idea of fresh food. Last night I gave them scrambled eggs and this morning it looked like they mightve actually touched them. Maybe not eaten them but its a start. Looks like they had some eggshell too. Tonight I'm going to try shrimp again and some popcorn. My new teeny ones will still eat almost whatever I give them, which is good=) still waiting for one to come up so I can put them in the main tank.

19. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I started cooking with olive oil & then they started eating eggs, when I air popped pop corn it never smelled, now if I use olive oil it smells if I try and keep in a baggie for a few days.
    they didn't touch the mango or chicken baby food spoiled dang nabbit freakit fracket shell of crabbin nater crabs!

20. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Mine are picky too. Grr so frustrating sometimes=/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.