1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took out calcisand put in EE all crabs are down!!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Bugaboo, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I made the mistake of starting my crabitat with calcisand(I know shame on me) I didn't know any better yet. I changed to EE almost 2 weeks ago and now most of my 8 crabs dug down that day and have been under since!! none have molted since I've had them (almost 4 months) so any ideas??
    Also having problems getting them to eat fresh natural food. Any suggestions on anything that might get their attention??

2. Holly12

Holly12 Guest

Hello well it is great that you put them on the EcoEarth I use it myself now my crabs they love diging down in it and they will do that for a 2 reasons. One you had them on that sand so now you change them to something new again so it kinda will stress them out a litlle bit. And as we all know hermit crabs love to dig and like mine they will stay down in the dirt until night time then they come up to eat. Now you can get them a hide hut or a hide log and they will go in it thats what I have for mine and also if you don't already have it get them a stick or branch to climb on they like that too. And for geting them to eat other foods if they have never had it it will take them time to see that it is food and not something that will hurt them. Now I was lucky with mine the pet store I got mine from gave them greens and fruit and chop up freeze dried crickets and some chop up tropical fish food. And once in a blue moon for a treat I give them sea food cook up and my moon crabs love it. So if you can get to the pet store get some tropical fish food it will be in the fish ile and chop it up really well and get some freeze dried crickets chop it up really well and sprinkle them both on thire food and then see if they will eat it. Let me know how it goes for ya I will be wishing you luck. :hug2:

3. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Thanks=) I know atleast one is eating cause they're still eating the commercial food (I was testing to see if any were up while I wasn't around) so I'm thinking maybe they need protien. I haven't tried that yet. Ill try some chicken and scrambled eggs tonight. (Its about all I have on hand tonight) hopefully it'll work!
    And my tank has a big hidy, lots of net, hanging viney fake plants and choys wood so they're set. (I have a 20L). Its can be so confusing trying to figure the litlle buggers out but I love em!

4. Holly12

Holly12 Guest

Yeah they can be very hard to figger out sometimes lol and sometimes they are very clever lol but yeah try the giving them some eggs see if they will eat it. :flower:

5. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well I put the eggs in the tank. Now its just waiting. I don't like the waiting part, but they won't come out and eat especially if I'm sitting there watching them!! Haha. One is dug under by the corner of the tank and made me a window and I can see her sleeping=) so cute

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Every time I do a deep clean my crabs are not stressed. It is the opposite . They love their rearanged environment. They will climb on everything dig walk around all day long checking things out. And when they have gotten over that new smell they return to normal. I dont chop up the crickets or shrimp,worms or nothing. I give them chunks of chicken. beef,whole shrimp(including head and feelers) trout,bass,crappie,venison. Which ever meat you want to give them as long as it is NOT seasoned.It is great protein for them. Nuke it untill done and serve. You could rinse it off with declorinated water if you like before cooking. You can even fry it in olive oil. They like that. Frozen veggies in a bag freezer section at the store read the ingredience to make sure it is just veggies. soak in dec. water and serve. Fruit that is old and over ripe. (they eat what falls from trees which is usually over ripe fruit.Millet seeds and whole cuttlebone found in the bird section at the pet store. When flowers bloom this spring give them to them also as long as there is no pestisides or furtilizer.( rinse them well for bugs) and leaves (maple,oak) no needle trees like pine or cedar. Use your imagination when it comes to food. Much of what we eat they will eat too. Penut butter(organic) honey,eggshells and scrambled eggs. Just check with us first.
    2weeks is not a long time to be under.do not ever dig them up. a couple could be down for months. But dont worry. They know what they are doing. Very nice to have you. There are allot of great people here . If you have a question just ask. There is never a question too small.

:welcome: :huggies:

7. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well they did explore at first then dug down. I've seen a few climb around still. But I know to never dig them up. I keep cuttlebone in the tank all the time. I still have to get more stuff to feed them. I just want them to be happy and healthy. Thanks for all the advice=) it helps tons!=)

8. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well they may have nibbled at the scrambled egg not sure though. Also I was wondering, can any type of wicker baskets be harmful to hermies?? I'm just worried since I don't know what kind of wood they're made of..

9. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

A lot of baskets are made of willow,blackberry, and reed branches. Its OK as long as it is not treated. Some places put urethane on them for appearance.If you find an all natural one I think its OK. I have seen wicker baskets in the tanks on this site. But if you are looking for a bed or a place to put shells I just use a corner shower caddy from wallmart and put floral moss from there in it for bedding. Mine love it. They all sleep in it every night.

10. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Thanks=) ill remember that=) yeah I wanna make a place for shells and I wasn't sure what to use.

11. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have lazy crabs! I found out if I crush my freeze dried shrimp they will eat it, if I just put in the tank it just sits there! No wonder they weren't eating it! mine love eggs cooked in olive oil a lot better than zapping it in the micro wave. Mine go nuts to when I re arrage the tank, I think they get bored, after all in the wild they get to explore and it's never the same is it?

12. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well I've tried eggs in the mirowave. It just sat there. So did the beef last night. I'm going to try shrimp tonight. They won't eat the carrots grapes or almonds either. I didn't get a reaction from the fish oil either=/ alll they'll eat is that silly commercial stuff (I've stopped giving it to them so they'll have to eat the fresh food I give them. Stubborn things!!
    And I recently made my tank much better but still not much action. Its exhaustion sometimes=/

13. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Do they move around or stay in one place all the time?

14. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well I don't know. I've seen some out moving around a few days ago. but I haven't seen any out recently=/ I heard one scratching on the bottom of the tank last night but other than that I haven't seen any out.

15. Holly12

Holly12 Guest

You wnat to know something weird? 2 days ago I gave my crabs some peanut butter and they all walk away from it maybe they did not want it that night who knows lol.

16. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

So my 2 new teeny hermies are still in iso cause I still need to bathe them but am low on distilled water. After I bathe them how long should I keep them in iso for?? And should I be worried about them getting hurt my my other hermies (that are a bit bigger than them)??

17. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

How long have you had them. I usually would keep mine in iso for about 10 to 14 days. But I would have bathed them when I brought them home. Bathe them in 2x salt water mix. Rinse with fresh water. If they look healthy enough you could put them in the main tank but check the bath water really good for bugs. You should get some API water conditioner(declorinater) that way you never run out of water. I bet one bottle will declorinate 100 gal. or more. You would be saving allot of money.
    When you move them keep an eye on them and the others for a couple of days. There will probably be a scuffle to show who's the boss but that should be about it.

18. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I just got them yesterday. Where can I find that declorinator? Yeah they're just so tiny I don't wanna lose track of them! Haha. But they seem healthy one has eaten a little of all the food I've put in the iso. And the main tank nothing is touched=/

19. Holly12

Holly12 Guest

You can get some stresscoat that you use for fish tanks get the the one with the pump dispenser and if you see Aloe Vera on it that is one of the plants that hermits eat. So get a spary botle and put one pump in it shake it up well and then you can use it. I have been useing that for 3 years and never had a problem with it I use it for thier drinking water and slat water too.

20. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Hermit crabs can NOT eat aloe Vera!!! Click on the EH site to your left and it will give you lists of food and plants they can or cannot eat.It will interfear with their ability to absorb potassium. The declrinator is at the pet stores or aquatic stores.
    Another reason to get a declorinater instead of bottled water is there are many minerals in tap water that is beneficial to the hermit crab. But in bottled water they are removed through the purification process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.