1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tonight they will eat well...

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by chermo, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Well tonight my crabs will be having some steak (before seasonings of course) drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, mushroom, corn husk and some corn cob, persimmon and mango for dinner, I am sure they will enjoy it.

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hey Chermo...I need the directions to your house, and what time do we eat?! :D

3. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Those hermit crabs probably eat healthier than I do! xD

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

My crabs have a whole diet planned out with tons of protien, fruits, veggetables, calcium and fats all put together. I stick their meals for several days in the fridge and am now not putting together last minute dinners for them before I go to bed. They have all these sunflowers seed and pumpkin seeds and amaranth and soy beans and all these others thing I just bought them at the the store.

5. chermo

McKenny, we have steak about 1 time per week sometimes more if I can find it on sale, the corn on the cob was just for fathers day as I usually forget to buy it and the hubby wanted it for his dinner. The Mango and Persimmon was just for the crabs, the mango smells like dirty feet so I wouldn't ever dare eat it. I would probably get sick, besides I never try new stuff, I am quite happy with what I eat now and don't feel the need to try new things.

cococrisp, what is their diet plan, I may try that. I find it hard to figure out things I have they haven't had in the last 4 days or so. I usually just throw stuff in the dish from either our dinner or what I get at the addiction store or a little of both. I never remember what I give them each day so sometimes they are given some of the same stuff daily but there is always something different in the dish as I do remember some of the things I gave the night before.

6. cococrisp

It's a whole new dimension of feeding hermit crabs. I never realized it was that complicated. It's a whole food pyramid for hermit crabs saying how many times a week you should feed calcium, protein, fats and veggies/fruits. It lists different foods that are rich in those categories and I ended up buying a lot of grain at the grocery store that had all these nutrients in them. I ended up feeding three different nutrient rich foods every day following this chart:
    HermitCrabCentral
    I have a piece of paper with what nutrients I feed each day of the week. Then I have the food pyramid printed out and the different nutrients and what foods are rich in calcium, protein fats etc. All of this can be found in the link above except the paper that you can plan yourself. I usually grab some scraps now and then, find out what nutrients are in them and stick them in the fridge (or freezer) till that nutrient is needed. I just collected about 10 egg shells and they are in the freezer until next calcium day. I have a graph of grains or non refridgerated stuff with a box of squares used for wine. It is three boxes long and 3 boxes high. On the top edge I wrote Calcium, protein and fats; one on top of each square. On the side I wrote the same. Then I stuck grain with calcium under calcium and calcium. Under the calcium long and across from the cacium on the side. Sor of like a grid. It's worked out really well and I get the veggies out of the fridge because I always have tons of those.
    Hope this can help someone.

7. chermo

Thanks cococrisp, that is a useful list, I think others will appreciate you sharing too.

8. cococrisp

I just edited it. I think you posted before that but I added a ton of info on the way I feed.

9. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Mmmmmmm! That sounds really yummy! :)

Wow, cococrisp, your diet seems really good! I usually feed them what I find in the fridge like baby food, shrimp, fruits, veggies sprinkled with calci sand or cuttlebone. YOur plan seems a billion times better, though! I have to see that link!

10. cococrisp

I used to just feed them stuff in the fridge but then Switchblade Brigade made a post all about feeding and I found my crabs were not getting enough protein at all!

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Thank you so much, cococrisp! The food pyramid is so helpful!! :)

Wait, it said, "[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Helvetica] You should try to feed the healthiest land hermit crabs to your post-molt crabs for a week or two in order to have them regain their nutrient levels and they start to metabolize food easier."
    Are they telling us to feed hermit crabs to other hermit crabs?!?!?
    [/FONT]

12. cococrisp

Probably not. Just ignore it. I don't know. Maybe they made a typo or something.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.