1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To save or not to save..

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by shelbers91, May 31, 2012.

1. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

The end of July I am going to Florida to see my boyfriends grandma and I will be checking the shops out for shells however I'm affraid of seeing crabs in bad conditions like I did in Myrtle beach and will want to get some to try and save their poor hopeless souls and give them a better home however I hate that buying them only furthers the pet trade..

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

It is a dilemma, but then again the same can be applied to just about anything.
    So in the end, you save what you can and hope that others will help out too.  Sometimes the poor little things are in such bad shape that you have to just walk away.  I know---it's hard, but sometimes you can tell that they are just too far gone, and it would be best to adopt a more healthy one to keep him from the same sad fate. 

There isn't enough public awareness about the proper care of Land Hermit Crabs, and most  consider them as a "throw-away" pet.  Because of this attitude, there isn't much that can be done.  We rescue what we can without overcrowding our tank and insure that at least they will have a good life for as long as they live.  :hug2:

3. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

Yea, this Delema has always urked me. Even people I know that agree with me that budgies are not disposable they say crabbies are just Crustaceans. Then they think Im weird when I stop people from stepping on a wood louse (pill bug) cuz they are Crustaceans.  I love them little things lol.

I guess well just see how it is in Florida. The Myrtle beach one was a hopeless case though I'm happy lyla survived through these years <3