1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for Identifying Species from Photos

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by RFcrabs, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

Many new crabbers like to post pictures in order for them to get assistance or confirmation of their crab's species. Sometimes it is difficult to take pictures of a new crab, but for the record, it is good for you to know what "kind" of picture to take for the most accurate assessment.

It is best to try and take a photo of your crab while he is extended out of his shell and from the left profile! Then most of the common species identifiers can be determined. These are:

- the eyes
    - the shield pattern
    - the big pincher
    - the leg pattern
    - and the third left walking leg

A picture from the left showing these usually provides the most visible clues to species.

Thanks!

2. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

I don't know if we have them on this site, but there are a few other sites with quite clear pics of crabs and you can compair your crab to those pics to determin what type you have....if you don't have a digital camera, like me! :tongue3:

3. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

4. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

OH, I didn't know we had that here!! :hello2: That's cool. But it still helped me to be able to look and compair mine to pics. :icon_smile:

5. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

Stacy's species test rocks...however, the info I gave was for crabbers who take pictures of their crabs and then post them here asking for help identifying them...I want to see more pictures that "profile" the common traits!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.