1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three Crabs:

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by deege39, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, I found a link to your website from another forum I belong to and thought I'd join!

I have three crabs. Bashful, Sleepy, and Dopey.

Bashful is larger than his two brothers. However, Sleepy and Dopey bury themselves under the substrate, and will stay that way for many many hours. (Most of the day.)

It's 72-75 degrees in their 20g tank... I provide two water dishes, and an extra shell to drink from, and a bowl with a variety of food.

I took care of my step-mothers hermit crabs a few years ago, and they did incredibly well. I've done my own research, but when it comes to molting I have no idea what the signs are to look for.

It's warm enough and it's humid enough, what could the other reasons be for them submerging themselves for so long? They're not as active as the first couple days I brought them home.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! : )

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

They can be destressing and or preparing molting.........crabs know what they are doing so the hardest part is being patient- we all go thru it sadly.......do you have gauges to really make sure the temps/humidity arent off?

3. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Thanks for responding!

Yes, I have two gauges, one for temperature and another for humidity.

I bought two bigger shells and have them sitting around, waiting for them... My third guy moves around a lot more than the two that are buried. He appears to drink regularly, as for eating- I can't tell! lol!

They won't starve themselves will they?

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

The signs of molting are usually:
    Digging
    Cloudy Eyes
    Staying near water bowls
    And usually not being too active.
    Just hanging out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.