1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Threads loading time

Discussion in 'Site Questions' started by Crabby1, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

OK, I have comcast internet connection and threads with pictures take a really long time to load, maybe a minute or 2 and it doesn't happen on any other site but this one.
    Any ideas?

2. Matt

Matt Guest

I am having trouble loading any page on here. Vicki thinks it's on the Host's(CRI?) end. I have to agree with that one.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Matt the time I said that I noticed robins site wasn't opening fast either, so I figured CRI's. But I don't know. I will have to ask Robin if she has any ideas.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

I talked to Robin, she wants to know what theme you guys are using. Also is it dial up, DSL, cable etc?

5. Matt

Matt Guest

I am using the default, but I occasionally swing back and forth between summerlight(I still think it's nice)

Firfox 1.0.7

Cable, 2 computers on the network, occasionally a psp. And I think my neighbor is bumming off of us too.

6. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm getting SOME threads loading real slow, like taking 2 minutes or more. I'm using Summerlite theme, Firefox and DSL.

7. Crabby1

Not too good with computer stuff but this is what I know....I use Internet explorer, have comcast hook up and I only have 1 computer. I use default layout for this site.

8. putertutor

putertutor Guest

Are you guys noticing if it is slower when there are pictures on the page or is it just in general? I'm trying to isolate the problem.

TY!

Robin

9. Crabby1

mine is always with pictures....although today, I haven't had a problem. :dontknow:

10. CrabbyChris22

I'll have to get back with you on that one Robin. I want to say both but I know for sure that I notice it when it does have pictures. I'll pay more attention though.

11. CrabbyChris22

No Robin, it's not just threads with pictures. I've just tried to load 2 of them without pictures and it took at least 2 minutes.

12. jsrtist

jsrtist "First Molt In Progress"

I am having the same problem too. I am on cable on my brand new computer :) on the newest version of Firefox and every page is taking forever on here. It took me a long time to login just now. I have wanted to keep browsing around but am getting impatient and havent been able to look at everything Ive wanted to.

I hope it is resolved soon! :icon_scratch:

13. Shadow

Shadow Guest

Thought it was just me... This also happens at the HCA to me, or it did when I actually still went there... Threads would take forever to load, even though I could do other things, totally unaffected.

Sometimes it'll take forever to load, sometimes not... Comcast (interesting pattern here?) cable (business), sometimes IE 6.0, but mostly Firefox.

14. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

I have the loading problem too, and it is not only with threads containing pictures. I have DSL through telus, and use Firefox and use the summer and/or default themes. I have slightly less loading time issues with IE and default theme, but it still is taking too long to load threads in general!

15. putertutor

putertutor Guest

We're going to try two things:

A theme without images (no dancing hermies, etc.)
    I am upgrading my hosting, which means that this site and all of my other sites will move to a new server. Since I am staying with the same hosting company this should be a pretty transparent move to members. Hopefully, if this is an issue with the MySQL databases the load time of the threads will also improve.

Please be patient.

16. putertutor

putertutor Guest

I have just spent a few hours analyzing the site and this is an image issue. When I remove all of the images from the pages the threads load in under two seconds. When I enable images the threads take forever to load. This thread took under two seconds without images and 12 seconds with images. Here are my suggestions:

Don't use an animated give for member rankings. The dancing crab is cute, but the file size is huge for such a tiny image, 42.5kb. An entire web page (text, images, css, and scripts) should be between 30-50kb.
    Establish maximum file sizes for photos
    Reduce the size of avatars and set a maximum size in kb
    Don't allow images in signatures or establish a maximum size

Here is what I have done:

Buttons have been replaced with text links
    Avatars will be refused if they are not under 200x150, currently they are being resized with html which does not reduce the file size. (I think that the overall avatar size should be reduced)

Just so you all are aware, the summer light theme is slower to load than the default theme.

I know these are not the popular answers because images are fun and cute. Unfortunately, those images are slower to load.

You can learn more about connection speads here http://www.clickandgovideo.ac.uk/connection.htm

17. wow, there's a HUGE difference! They are loading so quickly now! Thanks!

18. putertutor

putertutor Guest

Oh well thanks sweetie! I'm glad to hear that it helped. I wasn't sure since I was tweeking with so much stuff last night.

The other thing I was thinking for people who use Firefox. There is a toolbar called the web developer toolbar http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/ It's for folks like me who develop web sites, but one of the cool features is that you can turn images off on a web site/sites. So if the images are really bothering you and the load time is very slow you may want to get this toolbar until we get all of the images resized.

If you visit this page http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/ in Firefox
    Click the Firefox/Flock download link
    A security warning will appear at the top of the web pages windows. Click the Edit Options button.
    Then click Allow to allow Chris Pederick's toolbar
    Then click the Firefox/Flock download link again
    Click install when the option appears
    Restart Firefox

The web developer toolbar will now be available. There will be a button called Images. Click the Images button. The first option is Disable Images, you can disable all images or just animations (even disabling the animations will help a lot).

I have a tutorial here http://www.tinkertech.net/tutor/firefox/index.htm on Firefox. There is a section on installing extensions if you need some screen shots of the steps above. This tutorial also has info on installing Firefox.

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

If you are posting an image on the site, please resize it. The maximum image size needs to be 40-50kb and 300x 300.

Thanks for understanding!

20. CrabbyChris22

Thanks for that developer toolbar link Robin, that sounds like a great extension to have. I've usually found Firefox to be MUCH faster than IE since I've been using it for the past 3-4 months. This will be a nice extension to add to it.

Do you have much info on your tinkertech page about web developing? It's been a fascination of mine for a long time now and I've spent a small fortune on books about it but I haven't really done much with it. It's one thing to read about it and think of cool ideas for a site but getting down to the nitty gritty and actually starting it is another matter entirely. That's my problem, getting it started. I think once I had one going it would be so much easier, but getting the beginning going has been the hardest part for me. I'll check out your site and then ask you questions later. Would that be alright with you?

Thanks for all you do for us here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.