1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

These Chemicals????

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by Hermie's rule, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

I'm trying to make foods for my hermits. The dried fruits that you get at the grocery stores in bags for humans have sulfur dioxide and sometimes added sugar or potassium sorbate. Does anyone know if those are bad to feed hermit crabs? What's the risk of feeding it to them? I really don't know! :confused::p

2. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I don't know for sure. But to be safe I'd probably not use them. No chemical is "good" for them. But, I'd get the opinion of more experienced ones, too!! Vckums has great dried food in her online store. And it's pretty cheap!! I went to that so I could be absolutely positive that the food was safe for them!!

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

the sulpher dioxide is a presearvative so pass on that. Im not sure on the potassium sorbate. Added sugar could be avoided as well.

You can find dried fruits that are unsulphered. I got some at Trader Joes the other day. Your best bet, dry your own fruit. 1 apple goes a long way.

4. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Thanks!!! :) I'll try to dry some myself. We have a food dryer so it would be easy.

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

You may be able to find sulphur free dried fruits at your local natural foods store. I got some unsulphured coconut pretty cheap...In fact there is a whole line of sulphur free dried fruits. Also, you can buy whole coconuts in your produce section and grate your own and make a hut out of the shell halves. Some people are allergic to it.
    I find that raw sunflower seeds go over well....and unsalted nuts. You might also try rolled oats. Your best bet might to be to try and dehydrate some fruits yoursekf...in the oven or in a commercial food dehydrator. I think I might try doing that this weekend;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.