1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*the* smell

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by n00b, Jan 21, 2010.

1. n00b

n00b "Preparing For First Molt"

I wasn't 100% sure what everyone was talking about when they described the smell of a dead hermie until today.   :crybaby2:  My PP Lazarus was in his moss pit since we brought him home.  I noticed a funky smell in the crabitat today, and decided to check on him.  Sadly, I found out where the smell was coming from.
    My question is has anyone ever used this product? ... It's Zoo Med's "All Natural Living Frog Moss".  I bought it at PetCo.
    It said on the side of the box that it's OK for hermit crabs, but I've learned that's not always the case with commercial hermit crab products.  The thing that makes me concerned is that the box claims that, once the moss is wet, it will begin to grow again.  That made me wonder if it was actually a type of Spanish moss... which I know is not safe for hermies.  Either way, I'm going to get some sphagnum moss!

Thanks!

2. imported_Eric

imported_Eric (Small Crab)

Frog moss is indeed one of the safe-for-hermie mosses. 

I guess he passed away of other causes :(

How long did you have him?

3. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

imported_xAiZaOnigirix (Large Crab)

frog moss and spanish moss are different. if it makes you feel better though, you don't have to keep it. I'm the kind of person that would get rid of it, too, just because it made me uncomfortable. Perhaps the moss made him feel safe. People, animals, etc. tend to go to a place where they feel safe when they are sick or dying. You never know. Sorry for your loss =[

4. n00b

n00b "Preparing For First Molt"

We had him for 18 days.  You're probably right about the death being from other causes.  His name was Lazarus because I thought he was dead when we originally brought him home.  We thought he was moving at the store, but he didn't come out of his shell when he got home.  I couldn't feel him moving in there.  I was on my way to return him to the pet store when he suddenly came "back to life" and out of his shell in my hand.  I was trying to drive a stick shift while holding a hermit crab and talking on the phone at the same time.  (not safe!)  He acted kind of strange before digging into his moss pit and staying there, so I bet there was something wrong with him from the start.  Poor guy. 

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Really sorry for your loss nOOb......

6. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

imported_xAiZaOnigirix (Large Crab)

Yes, he was probably sick when you got him. Keep an eye on your other crabs in case it was contagious. chances are it was something like PPS. He might have gone into shock, or perhaps getting ready for a molt and wasn't healthy enough. It wasn't your fault, though, he definitely had something wrong already. hope everyone else remains healthy.