1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The perfect crabitat

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by zerg3000, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerg3000

zerg3000 Hi, I'm New Here!

I would like to put together a perfect home for my guys.
    What sized tank should I use for 2-5 crabs?
    I would like to use sand from the beach as I live here @ the beach.

Thanks

2. Winter

Winter "Never Molted"

How big are said crabs? If they're small, a 10g would work, but I would go with a 20g just in case as they grow fast and you might want to get more. The general rule is 2gs per crab, but size really matters in that equation. If it's a jumbo crab, just two gallons wouldn't be enough you see.

Be careful with the sand from the beach. You have no idea what's in that stuff. Unless you know for a fact it's the cleanest beach in existence, if there are a lot of people everyday it could have some nasty stuff in it, and even then.

HCRU - Hermit Crab checklist

There's a crabitat check list. You can find it in the Portal thing up yonder.

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

i thought the rule was 5gal Per crab!!!!!

4. Winter

Winter "Never Molted"

:eek: Then why does everyone recommend a 10g for 4-5 crabs? That doesn't seem right. I was right before, 20g or bigger would do. Ignore what I said about the 2g thing haha.

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

It's five gallons per crab if you don't let them out of the tank for exercize whenever they're out. If you let them exercise out of the tank whenever you see them out, then you can have a little more in an aquarium. At least, that is what I believe:D

6. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Honestly, I think the "gallons per crab" rules are a bunch of baloney. If it's 5 gallons per crab, but you have tiny crabs like I did at first, then you can only have 2 crabs...which is really, really quiet. If you have big crabs like my adoptees, 5 gallons each wasn't enough.

Species also makes a big difference - my Es are much more active than my PPs, so they'd need more room. And strawberry crabs are even more active than Es, and it's generally agreed that for 2 small strawberry crabs you'd need at least a 20g long tank for them to live in because they'd trash anything else.

Crabs need TONS of exercise - they travel for 2+ miles in one night in the wild. Can they get that in tanks? No, but we can give them as much room each as we can in hopes that they can get close to it. We can also make external exercisers out of hard plastic baby pools or large Rubbermaid containers with climbing stuff to try to get them some more exercise. Carol of Crabworks' Jon and Kate just turned 33, and they spend hours a day out roaming her house (granted, they're rather large by now so they're easier to find after they're done) and live in a 55 gallon tank if I remember right. And she's only ever had those two crabs!

7. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

How big are the crabs that your're getting? Are you getting small,medium, or large crabbies? If you're getting small, a 10-gallon would be perfect. If medium, a 20-gallon, and if large, I would go with a thirty-gallon tank. Nice talkin' to ya!

8. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Be sure to bake the sand that you get from the beach before you put it in your crabitat!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.