1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The not so sly fox

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by timebandit, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

How can you tell the difference from an egg with a real chick in it,
    and one for eating?

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Well, I think that the only way an egg can hatch, is if, you let the hen lay on it. If you just keep taking out the eggs, daily, you will never have any chicks, and none of the eggs will ever hatch. Unless, of course, you own an incubator... But, farmers/people who sell eggs, would know whether or not, the eggs they were selling, were actually chicks, don'tcha worry, 'bout, a thing, Donny (TMNT)! You are not eating a live chicken! :biglaugh:

3. ema

ema "Third Molt In Progress"

Supposedly you can shine a light through the egg to see ... I'm not 100% on that though.  I've never had the need to try ...

4. Donny (TMNT)

No, that's not my problem. I'm a meat eater. I was just curious.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

I kept chickens. If you don't have a rooster the eggs will never fertilize, so no baby chicks. Which is what we did.

As for the fence being tall, that won't keep out predators. If you use a fence type system you must bury the fence into the ground a foot or so as the predators will try to burrow under the fence. I'm betting that's how the fox got the chickens in the yard. Another thing, if you don't clip one of the wings of the chickens, they can fly. Not as high as regular birds but they can get over a fence. That may also be a way the fox got them, the chickens got curious and out of the yard. The ones we had would be in a fenced in area(away from my dogs as well as my veggie garden) and they'd get over the fence. Little stinkers. Once we clipped one wing they couldn't do it anymore.

Cleaning their pen wasn't bad. There's some powder you can put in their shavings that helps with smell and flies and is completely safe to use. We cleaned out their cage weekly and their nesting boxes when we noticed they were a bit dirty. We had 4 chickens and they were really fun to have. We ended up adopting 2 out as they seemed a bit too loud for our neighborhood, didn't want to irk the neighbors, to some friends. The other 2 were very sweet and eventually took food out of our hands. I would give them a treat by getting about 60 crickets from the pet store and letting them loose on my backyard lawn. You'd see the chickens running all over the place getting the crickets.

The eggs were definately better then the ones in the store.

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

No, that's not my problem. I'm a meat eater. I was just curious.
    [/quote]
    You're a, MEAT EATER?! Do you eat, ANY, vegetables, fruits, grains, or dairy? I am an omnivore, (which means I eat both plants AND meat) and personally, I prefer fruits, vegetables, fruits, grains, and dairy, too, meat. But, that's just, MY, opinion! How, about, you?

7. Donny (TMNT)

HAHA! No, just because I'm a meat eater doesn't mean I'm a carnivore.
    You can't just live off of plain meat. I like vegetables, depending.

8. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Well, of course, not! Meat is healthy, and full of protein, but you cant's SURVIVE on it. You need foods from all the different food groups, to complete a healthy diet.

9. Donny (TMNT)

The only way carnivors live is from eating herbivor's (terrible spelling) stomaches.

10. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I could eat a meat, a baked potato, & corn all most every other day, my tator must have real butter though.  I only like a few veggies, corn, cooked broccoli, green beans with brown suger on them { you add a 1/2 c of brown suagr as you cook them, it makes them sweet, this was how my mom got us to eat them}
    I have this thing about chickens, we also tried to raise chickens and they are filthy animals to me, I just can't go get an egg that came from a chickens butt and eat it. I don't care how many times you would wash it on the outside & sterilize it I can't eat it! Store eggs I can eat, in my mnd they have been cleaned & steralized. I have had a few baby chicks in my eggs before, I have also heard the flash light method

11. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Don't you have, 'spell check', on your computer, Donny (TMNT)?
    And referring to your, 'carnivore and herbivore', comment, that's right, (about the stomachs) and, also, pretty funny, on your part! :chuckle:

12. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You COULD live off of only meat, but you'd have terrible stomachaches. Meat is meant to be a part of our diet; our stomachs can't digest properly without fiber from fruits and veggies in there too!

13. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Yup! Meat is nice, but so are fruits and veggies! :dance:

14. ema

That's so cool!  If I get chickens I'm SO hunting that stuff down.

One of my friends had chickens when he lived with his mother.  I think his mom still has a few ... But they were SO sweet and hilarious!  One would fly up on your shoulder as soon as you opened the pen and he'd just sit there and hang out for a while  :biglaugh:

15. Donny (TMNT)

That's why they have breakfast to provide fiber.

16. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I could live of Beef. Stomachaches...o well. Being raised in Iowa we had that Iowa beef. Grain and corn fed and it was fantastic! My father worked at the stockyards 3miles away and he was always bringing home something from a cow. Anything edible.I've had it all. Some not so good.  Sometimes came home with stitches.Even now when I go to a resturant I order the biggest steak they have and I eat it first before anything else.

17. ema

Stitches?

18. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

hey, Trixie I was raised in Iowa to! Muscatine. And yes, beef it's what is for dinner! I love a good steak grilled med. rare... mmmmm
    talk about eating everything from a cow, my dad tell me stories where they would go hunting and catch racoons, squirrels, snapping turtles, ect and they ate every part of it they could. They were really poor and some times he would go to the parks where there were family reunions and and act like he was family and the old ladies would fix him a plate. He said if he didn't do this there would of been a lot of days he wouldn't of had any food. His parents were divorced, he lived with his dad and he worked all the time, so it was everyman for himself

19. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I'm much more of a fan of grass-fed beef...it tastes better in my opinion, and is actually much healthier for you. Grass-fed beef has less fat, lower in calories, is higher in healthy fats (Omega-3 fatty acids, which help your heart and brain and can reduce your risk of cancer and make you respond better to cancer treatments like chemotherapy). There have been articles in Women's Health Magazine and Mother Earth News, shows on the Diet channel, and even articles in the New York Times. Besides, cows stomachs digest grass more easily, and grass-fed beef lets out much less methane (from gas in the stomach) than grain-fed beef, which is why a lot of people say it's better for the planet (less effect on global warming, they say).

20. Donny (TMNT)

I'm more of a chicken person, but I do enjoy hotdogs.