1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The not so sly fox

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by timebandit, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

It's late everybody is asleep even my husband. I am so pumped right now I'm still shaking. So I have to tell you.
    My neighbor had 6 chickens 2 roosters. But they have been disappering one by one. All he has left is one rooster. Neighbors say it is fox that are steeling the chickens. They were so cool. They would all hop his fence and walk across the street. Hop the fence into my back yard. My dogs didnt care. Kinda all over this block.
    Tonight I was watching tv when I hurd the rooster in my front yard. And he was in distress. I quickly went and opened the front door and a fox was dragging the rooster across the street. I leaped off my porch and ran twards the fox yelling and screeming. The fox dropped the rooster and ran down the street.
    And the lifeless body laid in the middle of the street. o no Scotts last rooster is dead. I walked over to it and thought what do I do now. The fox was paceing back and forth down the street under the street lamp. I couldnt leave it for the fox to carry off and eat. I stood there for a minute and then ran into my house to get the flashlight that was behind the door and ran back out to the rooster. I shined the flashlight at the glowing eyes of the fox. He was just waiting for me to leave. I shined the flashlight on the rooster for a few seconds and then I thought I saw him take a breath. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me so I shinned the flashlight to the roosters head and his eyes blinked.He was alive.But I was sure he was hurt cause he did not move at all. I watched him for a couple of minutes while his breathing improved. And when I thought it was ok I touched his tail and he jumped right up.He stood real close to me. I think he was a little shocky. But I took a little step and he did too. So taking little baby steps the rooster and I walked across the street to my front yard. But out of the corner of my eye I see that fox not 20 feet from me. So I took off after it yelling and screaming shacking my flashlight. The fox ran off empty handed. The rooster and I walked across my yard and driveway to our boat. He jumped up and perched himself on the rail. I walked over to Scotts door and bang on it and yelled for him to come outside. I walked back to the rooster and with the flashlight I could see blood on his poor little crown and all but one of his long tail feathers was gone. Scott came out. I told him what happened. He gently picked up the rooster looked at him and besides the blood on his crown and the lack of tail feathers he looked fine. Then he took the rooster into his house.
    I never have felt this way before. I saved the last rooster from certain death. One of Gods little creatures. I am so glad that he is safe. I just feel real good right now. Had to tell you about it.

2. ema

ema "Third Molt In Progress"

So I know there's that whole circle of life thing and everything has to eat ... But THANK GOD you were there! That poor rooster! I hope he heals up all nice and like new! :rockz:

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

OH MY GOSH, HOW TOUCHING. :heart:

Kudo's for having the courage to come to his rescue... :rockz:

4. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

That's so, SWEET, of you, trixie! Nice job! You're a hero! You saved a life! Your story was very touching, dramatic, sad, and somewhat scary! Thank you for sharing! I hope the rooster heals up, and that you catch the fox, so he can't kill anymore chickens or roosters! :heart:

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

it's nothing to see fox, deer , skunk ect go through our small town right out in the open. We went what I call deer hunting last night after supper, it's just driving around seeing how many deer we can see, saw 13 deer in about 3 min, saw a deer with black colored legs I guess that is rare & a very cute little baby! every night about 5 we see a fox cross the srteet from our house running towards the library, must have den somewhere. The library tree we had to have cut down had a mama coon and 4 babies living in it, The mom took off running when the tree came down, the babes we took and put out back & set in the flower bed that had tall weeds so they could hide & hoped mom would come back and get them. The next day they were gone. Every hear a fox yelp, it's blood curdling bone chilling goose bumpy !

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Update. I hurd a half a dozen cocka doodle doos this morning. I went outside and there he was.
    I didnt know it but Scott( the owner of the rooster ) got 6 more little hen chicks yesturday. And is going to build a coup.

7. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

You did a good deed!!!! :notworthy:

8. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

He didn't have a, 'COOP'? That would explain why foxes kept killing off his chickens and roosters! But building a coop, is a good choice on his part! A coop will decrease the chance of his chickens being killed, and help protect them, because they will be in their coop for safety!

9. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

He didnt have a coop. But he has a 5ft. chainlink fence. I thought it would be hard to get a chicken over a fence by a little fox but I guess they can.
    Or maybe the chickens are out of the yard when the fox gets em. I know the rooster was in my yard when the fox got him.

10. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

That's, so SAD! :( Well, I hope this new coop of his, will help prevent foxes from getting in, and stealing/killing the hens! Please tell him, that Hermies4Ever, from the Hermit Crab Addiction Forum, wishes him luck!

11. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Wow, do you think the rooster was faking death? It seems like a smart one.
    What are you using your chickens for? Eggs, I suppose?

12. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

What good would it do to fake death. He knew me and wasnt scared of me when he finally hopped up. I do think he was in shock.

13. Donny (TMNT)

Yeah, maybe if it was against a BEAR that might work.

14. ema

I hope he gets the coop built! And YAY to the new ones! He needs homies!

15. Donny (TMNT)

I wonder how you clean the coop when the opening's for chickens?

16. ema

My grandpa's has a hinge on the roof. It lifts up.

17. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Either that or you can make them with one side being hinged so you can open it up that way to clean out. Not a job I'd want - too many chickens in one place gets really stinky. There was a chicken farm behind my apartment building that smelled AWFUL.

18. ema

Chicken farms in GENERAL are nasty. They don't clean those things out very often and :puke:

ESPECIALLY if they're food chickens. If they're FOOD chickens things get REALLY bad ...

19. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

I agree! They do smell pretty nasty, even if they just got cleaned! The chickens do, too, and so do, the eggs, if you are weird enough to smell, them! :chuckle:

20. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I can get eggs from a store and eat them but I can't eat eggs fresh from a farm!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.