1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Crabbage Patch & Breeding News!!

Discussion in 'Crabby Links' started by Hildegarde, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

[FONT=&quot]A few people have asked questions on the forum about Tammy’s Crabbage Patch store, such as policies about shipping, including shipping to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Canada[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and how her breeding research is going.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Just got back from visiting Tammy at The Crabbage Patch. For those of you who don’t know, Tammy is one of the pioneers in the care of Hermit Crabs. She’s been a crabber for over 30 years. Tammy operates her local store at Renninger's Flea Market in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mt. Dora[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Florida[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tammy has an online store and a site on the web thecrabbagepatch.com. I came across her site when I first started crabbing. I thought the articles she wrote were much more knowledgeable and easier to understand than any of the books I had read. Even though I didn’t know Tammy, nor was I a customer, I emailed her a couple of times to ask her questions, which she was always nice enough to respond to. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fortunately for me, when I found Tammy’s store was only a two hour drive, [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] I was thrilled. I am fortunate to be able to go there occasionally to stock up both on crabs and supplies.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My husband, Fred and I were there last Sunday and spent four hours soaking up the atmosphere, picking out crabs, figuring what supplies we needed and talking crabs with Tammy and her husband Kirk. I also actually picked up a JUMBO crab and hand fed it!![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Right now, Tammy is really heavy into breeding. She showed me a small KK that looked like it was one of those snowballs that you shake and then the snow flakes fall until they all reach the bottom. Except while some of Tammy’s ‘snow flakes’ did fall, others stayed where they were, moving here and there but not falling. Tammy told me to look at the little granules at the bottom of the KK. They were moving on their own!!! They were little crabs called zoeae. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tammy also showed me pictures of what, to me, looked like pale green seahorses that you could see through (sorry, but that’s the best way I can explain it). But they really were actual megalopae, which is the final larval stage before becoming little hermit crabs as we know them!!! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is so exciting! Breeding crabs that were born and grown up in optimal conditions! Who’s got [/FONT][FONT=&quot]PPS[/FONT][FONT=&quot] anymore? It still will be a while, but at this point, Tammy’s come much farther than anyone else, and there’s no stopping her![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]While I was there, Tammy told me how busy she’d be with breeding the crabs for the next two months. Also, it’s coming to the time of year where it’s no longer safe to ship hermit crabs. She told me a story about how she overnighted a crab from where she lives in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Florida[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to a customer who also lived in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Florida[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. It was in December, but overnighting from one place in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Florida[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to another place in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Florida[/FONT][FONT=&quot] seemed like no big deal. Until Tammy found out the crab went from Florida to Florida via [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Philadelphia[/FONT][FONT=&quot] in the middle of the winter!!! Luckily, the hermit crab was fine but to avoid situations like that from recurring she will end shipping for the winter season soon. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A few people have mentioned on line that they were having trouble getting through to Tammy. Right now she’s working 7 day weeks, focusing on the breeding. She’ll do her best to get orders shipped as fast as she can. But right now it is taking her longer than normal to respond to email and she may be unable to answer general questions.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In one of my posts I mentioned that I wanted to get Strawberries from Tammy but that she only had a few left and wouldn’t be shipping them. She is currently out of Strawberry crabs but has a wholesaler searching for them and a variety of other exotic species as well. For those who can’t get there in person, she should have freshly molted hermies ready to send when safe shipping season resumes in the Spring. She currently ships hermit crabs within the continental US only and merchandise within the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]US[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Canada[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Soooooo….I’m sure there are many of us waiting with bated breath. Tammy, we’re all with you and very excited. And all our crabs are keeping their claws crossed![/FONT]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.