1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Crab Island Online Store

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by Dezzi, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Has anyone else heard of, or dealt with this store? It's called - "The Crab Island" - "Home Of The Hermie Hut" www.thecrabisland.com
    I came across it the other night.
    First: They sell Only - PAINTED SHELLS. - "All Of Our Shells Are Hand Painted" - No mention of Non-Toxic Paint used. (I think any paint is bad though) & it shows a Pic. of a Bunch of Crabs, on top of each other & over crowded.
    Second: They Sell Hermit Crabs Too. & They "Offer" a Heater - with the current weather. But, they Don't REQUIRE that you get one, for your crab 2 be shipped. - "You do Not have to order a heater, heater packs are an option" - "Will Guarentee crabs shipped with heaters. Can Not guarentee those that do not, due to cold weather." (Nice.)

& You pick out your crab, based on the painted Shell He/She is in, Or a Boy/Girl "Theme" They have - Spongebob, Dora, Spiderman, Superman, Bart, Baseball, Football, Elmo, Tye Dye, Crossbones.......Etc..Etc.
    Third: Under the food care- a few of the suggestions were: Cat & Dog Food, & "Tree Leaves" (no specific tree). They had other food choices that were okay though, I am just mentioning the one's I beleive may be harmful.
    Fourth: They offer "Habitats" for your crabs as well. They are the Plastic Kritter Keepers, & they sell sizes: Mini - Large. (no mention of tanks) The "large" is described as - Spacious Living Environment, 9x12 Inches of Luxury. The "Mini" is - 6x6 & 3.5" Deep. (& you get 2 pick the color of the lid) Each Size is stated as a: "Complete Set Up" & comes with - sponge, decoration shells, feeder shells & a palm tree.

So, my main problem is - if someone was getting a hermit crab for the 1st time, then they "May" beleive that a "KK" was a fine home - forever.
    - However, They did mention that hermit crabs need N/C water & a sponge, (didn't see anything about salt water) & they suggested that hermit crabs are happier living with a buddy.
    I just didn't care for the site. Although - I have Never bought Anything from them, & I am not saying that this is a Horrible Place, I am not slamming them. I am simply stating my Own personal opinion, based on what I saw & read. I am NOT an Expert on hermit crabs. & I am Not out 2 get this store at all. So, if you have bought from this company & had a good experience, then that is Great. I just wanted to share my thoughts on it. I hope that no one is offended in anyway, because that is not my intention at all.

2. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

Dezzi, I went to this site a while back, and I was horribly unimpressed. I'm like you, not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but I wouldn't purchase from this site, just because of the fact that they are not informing people of the correct way to care for their hermit crabs. I'm not saying they are horrible people, but, again, I won't buy from them. You aren't alone in your opinion. Maybe, I'll try contacting them with the correct info on hermies?:) But, like you, I'm not an expert...:D

3. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

This is where I got my first two batches of hermies. Of course, only one of them is still with us. I got them in January from the owner, Ruth, who shipped them to me in JANUARY, from Mass, shipped SECOND day delivery. While Ruth acts very informed about crabs, she is one of those people that goes to 'Oyster Festivals' in New England to sell her product.
    While she's not as bad as kiosks or summer vacation stores, she is NOT a crabber. She is a person who sells crabs who has no idea (nor does she want any) about truly caring for crabs.

Please don't encourage her. She gets more than enough business during her summer arts & crafts shows. For anyone who is a true crabber, she a crab killer.

STAY AWAY!!!

4. Agustus&Nigel

Agustus&Nigel (Micro Crab)

I was on there yesterday and my friend was thinking about buting from there and I had to put the idea down quite a few times and give reasons on why not to buy them there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.