1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

temperature for my purple claws

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by heidimr2, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heidimr2

heidimr2 Hi, I'm New Here!

do i need at colder side of the tank for my purple claws, i have a side at 70-80 and a side at 60 and 3 of my 4 are choosing the cold side. can any1 help me please

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Woops...I should have read this one first.
    73* to 80* is the accepted temperature among most crabbers. 60* is too cold for them. Make sure your temperature gauge is right. A lot of the time they can be off by a few degrees and give the wrong readings. Also, some put their gauges midway the tank, others put it just a few inches from the top of the tank.
    It's good sometimes to have two temp gauges, one lower and one higher to get an accurate measure of your temperature. Same goes for the humidity gauge too. What is the setting on the humidity in the tank? :flower:

3. heidimr2

Between 70& 90 for the humidity.., my temp and humidity gauges are in mid of tank 1 inch from sand... I have another thermometer in the gravel.
    My issue is they are choosing the colder side...2/4 have buried in the colder side... It reads 70/75in daytime. And 65ish at night.

4. Mckenny

PP's (Purple Pincher's)Like the temps a little cooler, 74*-78*. Of course the conditions that they have come from are not ideal and they have had to adjust to them. Perhaps it was colder where you purchased them and they're used to those temps. Keep your temperature's constant in the tank, 73* - 78* and try to get your humidity readings between 75*-80*. There will normally be spots in your tank, depending on the decorations, that will be a little cooler and some a little warmer. It's good for them to have a choice to choose from.
    A few species need a constant 80*-82* for temp/humidity, most notably the species Strawberry (Straws). They are a beautiful red and are native to Australia, but not very easy to take care of and oftentimes die in captivity. They are so desired that Australia now has a ban on the export to other countries.

If the humidity readings are too high for an extended period of time, (85*---), the Land Hermit Crab can literally drown from the excess moisture that stays on his gills.
    If the humidity is very low over a period of time (69* or lower), their gills dry and shrivel up, thereby suffocating them. Very painful either way.

Getting the temperature/humidity at the right readings is not the easiest thing to do. It took me almost 4 weeks before everything was stable and staying around the same readings every day. There are little tricks that everyone uses to keep everything in check.

Another thing to keep constant/the same, is the light cycle. It's important that they have daylight cycles and night cycles. I usually try to turn my tank off around 8PM every night after I put in their food and change their water if needed.
    I turn it on around 7 or 8 AM every morning. It's been found that the night and day cycles affect the moulting patterns and success of the moults.

If your tank becomes very cold at night you may want to get a night glo light especially made for heat and still keeping the light from the bulb to a minimum to maintain a dark tank. I use one called a Moon-glo bulb because it gives off just a little "moon glo light" like the hermies see when they go out on their night feeds. They come in different wattages depending on the size of your tank and how much heat you may need. :flower:

5. heidimr2

Thank you so much for your reply this has eased my mind... We have managed to stabilise the temp beetween 70-80.. With the exception of between 1am and 6 am... Where it drops to around 65 in the colder end of tank where we have heat mat 40mm below top surface of sand(also away from infrared light 50w) so the soil temp will be slightly higher... 3 of my 4 pp came out last night when I did my night checks I think I have one still destressing or moulting... I'm hoping he is ok( no fishy smells yet).

6. Mckenny

:straw: alrighty---keep us posted on how you're doing.

7. heidimr2

Cool ... Will do Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.