1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAZ has not come up from his molt, and now the tank smells AWFUL!!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by MissHaze, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissHaze

MissHaze "Never Molted"

Okay, so all of my crabs except one has returned topside. I went in today to change food and water and do a surface clean, and my tank smells like fish, I think. :eek: It just reeks though. I did feed them scrambled eggs last night, could that have made it smell that bad?:confused: When is it okay to dig and see if she is okay? Scared, please help!:(

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Oh no. :( First take the food out just in case that is the cause of the smell. And check your humidity and temp and stuff. If it still smells fishy you should dig her up. *Fingers crossed!

3. MissHaze

MissHaze "Never Molted"

Humidity, temp, etc. was fine. Removed the food and replaced with fresh diced apples for the night. If smell is not better by tomorrow I will dig around and check. When I did the food a little bit ago, found out that one of my new arrivals has gone under...Brain, is M.I.A.. I do hope it is not him. He still in his painted shell from pet store, cannot get him to change for anything, even though he is extremely to big for current shell. Thanks!

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Scrambled eggs do smell AWFUL in the tank. I have had quite a few scary run-ins with them. Make sure that no one stole a piece of egg from the food bowl as it will make the tank smell bad for days. That was my last problem with eggs...

5. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Eggs and crill, my enemies...Those darn crabs drag that stuff everywhere and it's soooo nasty the next day.

6. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I just take a slice off the top of a boiled egg? They haven't dragged that off yet....

7. MissHaze

MissHaze "Never Molted"

Smell was not gone by approx. one hour ago, so I searched around, Taz is good, and Brain cannot even pull all the way into his shell, only about half way, he is to big. But they both burrowed back in after some food, and now they are gone again. Smell is still there, cleaned the tank REALLY GOOD while I had them all out and washed all toys and dishes etc. Hopefully all is well. I am so GLAD no one is dead, I was scared...

8. Laughs O Lot

That's great! :) I'm so glad everybody is all right. I freak out about my hermies a lot and most of the time nothing is wrong.

9. emmac350

Crabs need a nutrient that is found in egg yolk called Zeaxanthin. It helps them to make a hormone that helps them with their coloring and molting called Astaxanthin. That's why they love egg yolks, scrambled eggs, etc. as opposed to just cooked egg white. There's a list on the hermit crab cuisine website of what foods contain Zeaxanthin in case you want to ensure your crabs get it regularly. :)

10. MissHaze

MissHaze "Never Molted"

I am so glad everyone is okay too! I just wish Brain would move into a new home, poor guy. He has many options, just stubborn I guess.

11. Laughs O Lot

Same with Sherbert and Buddy. :( Sherbert has been in that shell the whole year I had her for!!! Any suggestions to persuade your hermie to change shells? I clean them and put sea salt in them but I don't think it's working!

12. MissHaze

MissHaze "Never Molted"

Update...Taz came up...she is so pretty! She looks as if she could use a bigger shell as well. LOL

13. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

But will they be okay if I give them more of the egg I boil? scrambling eggs is just so out of the way...as weird as that sounds

14. emmac350

Just offer them some of the yolk along with the white. The egg yolk is the most nutritious part of the egg - it's the part that the baby chicken would have eaten to grow until it hatched.

15. MissHaze

MissHaze "Never Molted"

I just bought a small carton of Egg Beaters for mine...that way I always have them ready to go, just shake and cook. Also it enables me to make as little as I need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.