1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Tat remodeling

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by CrabbyChris22, Jan 8, 2006.

1. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Last night I had to dig down to check on one of my buried crabs.  I had talked to Vicki about this and she said this was one of those times when I should actually dig up a crab to check on it.  We had suspected that this one was dead but weren't sure.  When I picked up it's shell, the dried up body just fell out into my hand in pieces.  There was never any smell or anything to clue me in on all of this, just the fact that we hadn't seen it since a week or two after we got it (bought on Nov 13th).  The other thing was a wet looking spot in the sand where it was buried which I just thought was water from it's shell, except that spot was still there.  Because I have foam insulation around the 'tat (the crabloo) I couldn't see that portion of the tank from the outside to let me know that the spot hadn't changed at all nor had Squirt moved from it's spot.  It's my first death and I'm pretty bummed about it; RIP little Squirt.

After that I decided to change around the 'tat a bit since it was looking pretty crowded.  I'm going to post pics so tell me what you think.

Overall view.

[​IMG]

2nd level moss pit with net ladder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shell basket-can you see the little guy hidden in there?  That was only about 2 hours after I had set it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I went to bed, last night and when I got up for work this morning it looked as though there was a lot of activity going on in there.  Perhaps they like having more space to do their little crabby things.  I believe two of them were racing on the climbing wall to see who could get to the top fastest and the rest were just checking it out.  It's about time, in the 2 months I've had them everyone has been buried doing whatever it is they do down there (I know of at least one that actually molted and others that show the signs but I don't know if they did it here or not) but it's about time they get topside so I can get to know them and see what it is they do, lol. 

Enjoy the pics.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

:thumbsup: Looks good! I saw the pics last night when you showed me, and I never saw the little guy in the basket!!! He's so cute!

3. oimsofunny

oimsofunny Guest

Chris.. Sorry to hear that Squirt didnt make it.. (((((((((((((Hugs to you and family))))))))))))

The tank looks great.. and seems it made your hermies happy too..

4. CrabbyChris22

awww, thanks sabrina.

:sign10: vicki.

that little guy scared the crap out of me last night.  i was just passing by the 'tat and getting ready to switch the lights over and i saw something move out of the corner of my eye and couldn't figure out what it was.  so i leaned down really close and then he sort of slipped or something and it was a big movement right in front of me and i jumped.  i started laughing and steph was wondering what was going on so i made her come over and look.  i told her to look at the basket and she's like, yeah... AND?  i said don't you see it?  then he moved again and startled her too.  it was funny and i think he did it on purpose.  steph is always saying that the crabs probably only know me as, "the head" since that's about all they see when i sit down on the stool and just watch.  like when they are out eating and i come by all low and all and then they go scrambling for the log or some cover, they are probably yelling to the others, "run for your lives, "the head" is coming...".  maybe now they are just trying to scare away "the head" so they can have some peace.

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:icon_sunny: very nice, sorry about Squirt.........watch the basket for mold, I did not have sucess with them.......I love pics, I wish everyone would just show pics 24/7  :laughing7:

6. CrabbyChris22

ty Herm-EZ, i will.  i thought about that too the other day so i'm already planning that it will be a short term deal but it was more compact and a little nicer looking than the plain ole humdrum plastic thingy i got.  i'll keep looking and hopefully will find something smaller and replace the basket w/ it.  heck, i only got it for a buck anyway so it's no biggie.

7. CrabbyChris22

apparently yesterday i accidently clicked on the "lock/unlock" button in my thread.  i didn't know it until i received a PM this morning about it.  sorry about that, i think i was trying to click the "go up" button and hit the wrong one instead.  sorry if you were planning on commenting and were not able too.

:dontknow: having one of those days i guess...

8. Matt

Matt Guest

Would you recommend EE over sand?

Nice tat BTW :thumbsup:

9. CrabbyChris22

Matt, watching these guys I don't know that I would recommend one over the other.  I have some that like to bury in both, some just in sand and some just in EE.  I used a combo as per some other folks I've talked to and I think it just depends on the crab.  I don't know if any of the crabs have molted in the EE.  I only know of one for sure that has molted and that was in the sand.

The left side of the tank is sand only, the right side has a little sand on the bottom, about an inch, and then a good bit of EE on top of it. 

One thing I learned by trial and error, and some help from Sabrina (oimsofunny) is that sand holds a lot of the heat in from the UTH.  I couldn't get my temp to come up and she suggested thinning out the sand over that area and that's the right side of the tank.  I think when I do a deep clean that I'll just make the right side EE only and skip the whole sand thing completely over there so that the temps stay up where they belong.

I hope that helps some.  :dontknow:

10. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

I've had both EE and Sand and I've had crabs molt in both. If that helps at all. As long as they are moist enough, both work well for digging. I like the sand because it gives a nice stark background that they can stand out against. I have some EE "bins" in there and they've been spending time in it.  I'm considering switching again because the moss they drag around looks ghastly compared to the EE but I worry about mold and about shocking them by a total change.

Maybe a mixture this time around and EE next time.