1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Target Play Sand

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by sbisa, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbisa

sbisa Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi, I just bought Target brand Play Sand from Home Depot. It says it's safe for sand boxes, playgrounds, icy driveways, and gardening, and it's been pre-washed and sanitized. But when I started dumping it in the tank, big clouds of dust (I think it was dust) came out of the tank and it made the glass tank walls a bit dirty. I think it clumps a little bit when wet, but my crabs seem to be okay with it and one has burrowed in it. Do you think it is safe for them? Is it normal to see that cloud when you first dump it in?

2. sbisa

sbisa Hi, I'm New Here!

It seems to hold humidity well at 80 % also.

3. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I use the crayola colored purple play sand and that didn't do that when I dumped it in. Maybe you needed to pre soak it and bake it to make sure it was steralized first. Who knows. I love my colored sand and I have used it for 1 month so far with no problems. Others have used the Green crayola playsand before too and had no problems. I love the colors it brings to the tank.

4. Stephen2342

Stephen2342 "Preparing For First Molt"

I, too, use Hope Depot sand for my hermies and it's supposedly perfectly fine for them. I've personally never had any problems. Since the sand was in a bag for awhile, the dust cloud definitely doesn't surprise me. But I'm fairly new to hermies myself so we'll wait and see if the more experienced members think it's safe.

5. sbisa

sbisa Hi, I'm New Here!

The sand also looks like really really fine gravel, although the bag says sand and it probably is.

6. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Yes it fine! it only did that because its fine grain.

ALL COLORED SAND IS A NOOO NO.

7. chermo

I guess we all have our own opinion on the colored play sand. I am using it and it is doing nothing so I will continue to use it. It has not done any harm and is so much softer than regular play sand. I have also looked it up and did my research so I will continue to use it. I have not been able to find anymore in my local walmart so I may have to switch later on in the year when I clean out the tank but for now I am not going to dig up my molting crabs because some think it is harmful for them just so I can switch the sand to regular play sand.

8. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

No, you don't want to dig up your molters. If you have not experience trouble like bad molts then continue to use it.

There is concern about the dye they use being bad for hermit crabs even though it is okay for humans. Crayola does not release the exact ingredients as to what kind of dye, hence the concern.

9. chermo

I know there is a concern but since I have had no problems I am not worried about it. I have not had any molts yet, they are both down right now. I have only had them for 1 month and they have been down for about 3 weeks now so I expect them to come up soon I hope. I hate staring at a empty tank. I may change to regular sand once I am bored of the purple because I really do want a more natural look but since I only found the purple I got it and I will be keeping it until at least they come up.

10. sbisa

sbisa Hi, I'm New Here!

Just a quick question, so if my crabs are under the sand molting, I shouldn't dig them up and put them in an iso? What about when they're done molting and come back up?

11. WizKidsMom

Some people have the notion that hermit crabs are cannibals and they eat molters.
    Not True

When you dig up a molter or pre molter you take the risk of stressing them out so much that they die or come up with deformities.
    They molt in the wild with all the other crabs around them and survive very well. It makes sense to keep them where they dig down and allow them to do what nature has dictated.
    Besides - they are very social and need company.

I use my ISO for new crabs. I slowly move the humidity up from what they came from to my main tank. Usually after about a week or two they can go to the main tank ---unless they have dug down to de-stress. Then I wait for them to come up.

12. sbisa

sbisa Hi, I'm New Here!

So you only use ISO for new crabs and not molters? Do they eat their exo underground in the sand, because if one of my crabs brings it up with them, will the other crabs eat it?

13. WizKidsMom

They will eat their exo before they come up. They might leave a small part - like the big pincher. That I will crush and put in the food dish for all to nibble on.
    One of my PP's, Professor, dug a hole at the side of the tank which gave me a pee hole. I missed the actual molt, but he stayed there eating his exo before coming up.
    When they dig, they give themselves an air pocket, space for them to move.

An ISO is also good to have for a sick crab or when you want to put a crab in a time out.

14. Frogs_n_Flowers

Frogs_n_Flowers "Preparing For First Molt"

Blahh... I guess some ppl care more about appearance and cosmetics than health and safety. Venting my humble opinion!

15. chermo

I care about the safety and health but they have lived for over a month in there and are down molting right now so even if I decided to change the purple play sand to regular play sand I couldn't. What do you want me to do, dig them up and change the sand so you are happy. I bought the sand before I had the crabs so I didn't know about the safety concern. They didn't die and they felt comfortable enough to dig in it to molt so I am thinking it is safe for them. Just venting my humble opinion too.

16. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

NOO!!!!!! never dig up a Crab!!!! leave them be if their molting!!! their safer under the sand or EE.

17. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

*applauds loudly*
    Well said Krackersmom2! You said it better than I ever could have. :)
    *more applause before quickly running away*:D

18. sbisa

sbisa Hi, I'm New Here!

Yeah since the night I breathed it I've had a runny/stuffy nose ever since.

19. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Let's not be so crabby on here, please. I've started a thread on this site about the sand that has clouds of dust. I think that actually could be something that is not safe for people to be breathing. I read several articles about that. Here is one: crabstreetjournal.com - FAQs - Crabitat - Can play sand be hazardous? IMHO Just reading it is enough to make me not want to ever use that stuff again.! :D

20. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

The colored sand is just like the commercial foods...they contain artificial ingredients that could reduce the life span of your crabs. You are not going to see any immediate effects, but long term...a year or more, you could start to experience bad molts and unexplained deaths. The crabs DO ingest the sand in their crabitat. Many of us have seen our crab chowing down on sand rather than their food. That's where the coloring in the sand would concern me, just like anything painted with paints in the tank (shells, huts, etc.). This is all my humble, but researched experience. I would rather be safe than sorry.
    I would not be digging any crabs up now, but I would consider changing when the timing is right.
    *****Getting on my soap box:p******
    *This is for everyone...Remember, when you post a question or make a statement, everyone is going to have their say and that is what makes this a democratic forum! Some advice may be good and some may be bad. I usualy tend to go with the majority on questions I ask.
    When you post a question you are opening yourself up to the experience of others. If you already have an "opinion" and are not willing to listen to others, then it may be best left unposted. i.e......an attitude of "I'm going to continue to do this regardless of what others think or do".
    ****Leaving the podium:cool:*****

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.