1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAP WATER AND NEGLECT????

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Mrs.Crabs, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

IT'S FUNNY HOW WE TAKE SUCH GOOD CARE OF OUR CRABS...FRESH WATER, FRESH FOOD...CLEAN TANK...WELL, WHEN WE GOT HOME FROM VACATION WITH OUR FIRST 2 CRABS EVERYONE WANTED SOME...OUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS. OUR FRIEND HAVE 2 OF THEM AND SHE GIVES THEM TAP WATER AND BREAD AND CARROTS..THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT....THEY AREN'T TOO FUSSY ON THE CRABS...AND OUR RELATIVE....WELL LET'S JUST SAY, SHE HAD NO CLUE HER CRAB MOLTED AND I FOUND FURRY MOULD IN THE FOOD BOWL LAST WEEK....OH..AND THEY NEVER PLAY WITH THEM...ARE WE NEUROTIC???? WHY IS IT WE MANAGED TO KILL 2 CRABS DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN FOR THEM, AND THEY'RE DOING ALL THE WRONG THINGS AND THEIR CRABS LOOK AND SEEM HAPPY AND HEALTHY. WHATS THE DEAL WITH THAT??

2. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I can understand your emotions on this subject, and such nonsense makes me get angry and want to throw things, but we all need to maintain a high level of professionalism. IE...

THERE IS NO NEED TO SCREAM AND YELL ON THIS FORUM!!!
    (Prolly why I yell myself sometimes, and now HERMZ or Vick will send me to the corner for a time out =P)

ahem, yes. Simply tell your relatives of thier mistakes, support your arguments with facts and conviction (But DONT YELL AT THEM! They will just get angry and not hear the message)

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Go to your room Mad..... :chuckle:

Back on topic, it's frustrating that some people just don't want to go that little extra step to make sure their animals have the best care. Leave soem caresheets laying around their place. :kissflowers:

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Some people dont realize THAT THIS IS :scream: YELLING!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe she just needed to vent. Can I play with Mad in his room Vicki? :rubhands:

5. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

Why is everyone saying I'm yelling???? Was it the caplocks??? I'm just confused?
    We lost little Teves this morning.....He tryed to pull a molt in our hermi-hotel with sweet little Mini and Pirate...it's funny(well not funny)...but...it's funny how last night all of them were fine..I even checked in on them late last night as I do almost everynight when I get up for a cookie and milk....anyway...I thought it was so cute the way Pirate was keeping Teves warm in the hotel......I was wrong...I should have double checked! in fact poor little Teves molted in the hotel and Pirate was munching him...Teves was very little...about the size of a dime... and Pirate was average size... we got her at petsmart trying to save her from all those other crazy crabs and horrible living standards....we thought we would take her home with us and maybe one day she would realize we were not going to hurt her.....oh well. Right now she's being punished! We put her in an isolation tank because we're scared she might eat little Milton. Anyone want a crab! By the way...we call her pirate because she has one (normal)black eye and one white eye.

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Cap letters in the internet world is yelling--now you know and we had some fun with it- thanks for being a good sport

now I am sorry that you had to go thru that with the crab- I need to ask if 1) you have enough substrate for a crab to make a cave and molt
    2) are you providing some cuttlebone//egg shells etc that the crabs crave. Unfortunately a freshly molted crab is good pickings unless the crabs are full of good protein etc that the temptation would not be so great.

Dont stress too much over it- its all a learning process--we have all been there :huggies:

7. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

Should I boil the egg first? ..they have a good 3-4" of sand in a 10gal tank.....We're going to get more crabs and a bigger home for them this weekend. I'll also check on ebay for those heaters. Do you have yours closed at the top to keep in the humidity? How do tey get air if i do that? :thanks:

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Most of us have bubblers for the fresh water and or air holes drilled in the plexi or glass top plastic section. Read around there are lots of ideas- you have to enclose the tank or you will not be able to maintain humidity- ok the sand sounds good- maybe he was too weak to dig-

I dont do eggshells but one would imagine that you would have to boil in dechlor water in order to avoid an icky mess but I am slightly OCD so ............ :chuckle:

Please read the sticky about NEW crabs and how they should be handled ok its super important :twirl:

9. Mrs.Crabs

Mrs.Crabs (Small Crab)

wow..........we still have alot to learn. It looked and sounded so easy when we bought our first 3 in Wildwood..........now it's just getting crab crazy here. What's the longest you had your crabs? How long do they normaly live. They said 20 or so years....but our 3 all died within 4 months that we had them. I have alot of tank alterations to do to make sure this doesn't happen to the other. What should I do with Pirate. I'm scared she'll eat little Milton. He's very small.

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

well change his name first and foremost :hahahaha: sorry had to go there.........
    Pirate needs lots of protein--shrimp//unseasoned meat//hard boiled egg- (hey then you can have the shells) and good foods.

I have my first crabs 3+ years and yes they can live beyond 30 years in captivity- 70-80 in the wild. Hardy lil beasts when they have it all together- Visit my gallery and SUB albums to see how my tanks are etc etc

Maybe get the new tank but hold off on crabs until you get the tanks right and a proper ISO tank - they need to be ISO 2-4 weeks when new

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.