1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jess2mellow1

jess2mellow1 Hi, I'm New Here!

I just bought a tank at a garage sale for $6. How can I tell what size it is. I thought it was a ten but I'm not to sur is ther such things as 15??? And how many crabs can I keep in there???now I only have 2 and they are at my daycare, but I am planning to bring them home for more and better care thanks to this website. I am officially a crabber. I love these little guys!!!

2. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

What are the measurements of it?

www.glasscages.com has alot of measurements listed for sizes of tanks. Thats where I figured out that my 30" long, 18" tall, and 12" from front to back tank was a 29 gallon.

Congrats on becoming a hermit addict hehehe. I think the crabs will be muuuuuuch happier with you at home. I think the noise of a daycare could get a bit loud for them.

As far as how many in a tank, in my ten gallon the most I had was six, but they were all small crabs. Right now I have a 29 gallon and twelve crabs, and sometimes it seems a bit crowded, but I know if I found any more tiny crabs I could bring them home. I'd say it really depends on how big your crabs are, what size are they? Also what kind are they btw??

3. jess2mellow1

My tank size is 20 inches long, 10 tall and 12 1/2 from front to back. Pearls shell hole is about the size of a quarter. and she's big!! she need's to move out, but is stubborn she has 2 other choices 2 totally different shells but wont go. And cookie is small, his shell hole is about the size of a nickle but tuks way back in there, especialy with out his pincher. I don't think I will get any more though with Cookie being unable to defend him self.

4. jess2mellow1

I also believe they are purple pinchers, pearls body is really maroon and her pincher is the deep purple, and cookie is not as maroon but had a purple pincher once [​IMG] I still feel so horrible [​IMG]

5. froggz37

They probably are purple pincher crabs. The two I have are small, one is a tanish pink color with a dark purple pincher, and the other is a mix of the tanish pink with red and orange on its legs. You might want to offer more than two shells per crab. I have over 45 shells for my twelve crabs. I'm actually thinking I need to get more shells though, my ruggies seem to love the babylon shells and I only have about five of those.

6. froggz37

Also how are you offering your shells to the crabs? So far I've had the best luck now that my shells are in a large dish and have been dipped in salt water. At the bottom of my dish I have washed aquarium gravel and the shells on top of that. Rosie switched shells sometime during the night, and Nekoli tried on two shells before going back to his original one during the night too.

7. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Yes, there is a such thing as a 15 gal tank.

8. jess2mellow1

Ijust have the shells sitting in the tank with them, but I have heard of the salt water thing and am going to try it once i get some. I bought some salt water conditioner off of petdicounters could i use that or do I have to get sea salt and mix it up??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.