1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surface molt

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Laughs O Lot, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Sherbert did a surface molt in the food dish! I expected her to molt because she was digging a lot and became less active. Yesterday she sat in the food dish for a long time, out of her shell enough to barely see her eyes. Today I saw her old exoskeleton in the food dish right by the opening of her shell. When I looked really closely I could see her new legs deep in her shell. I put a coconut hut over her so she could have privacy. Should I put her in the ISO? Crusty and Sky are both digging in the main tank.
    Ocean is isolation because she also did a surface molt recently. She has been in isolation for a couple of weeks. She molted in a funeral box because I thoguht she had passed away. One morning I heard scratching from the box and I discovered her eating her old exoskeleton. Do you think she's ready to go back to the main tank?

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Just leave her be. Moving her now may stress her out.
    You probably can put Ocean in the main tank as well if he is moving around.

All of my hermies molt in the main tank. I have never had a problem with the others bothering them.

I hope you have another food dish for the others to use.

3. Laughs O Lot

Sherbert doesn't have any food or water in there besides her old exoskeleton. Should I put in some? Could I check on her at all?

4. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

If you have food accessible outside, she will come out to get it, you don't need to bother her. I wouldn't check her too much, remember she is vulnerable and she knows it, so will stress more easily at this time. You could put some small water dishes nearby as well, maybe some soda bottle caps with fresh and ocean water in them, just outside so they are easily accessible.

5. Laughs O Lot

Ocean keeps on trying to get in the coconut hut with Sherbert! I'm not sure if it's because Ocean misses Sherb (they haven't seen eachother in ages because Ocean molted right before Sherbert did) or if Ocean just wanted to hide. What should I do? I put the smaller coconut hut over Sherb thinking that nobody would be able to get in, but Ocean succeeded. I checked on Sherbert and she seems fine, but I'm scared this is stressing her out.

6. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Sounds like it's time to make a soda bottle iso that you can push into the sand around your surface molter so nobody can dig under or climb over to get to her. Same as before, keep some soda bottle caps of fresh and salt water in there with her and change the food regularly, but put it outside the cocohut, you don't want to disturb her.

7. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

maybe ocean wants to eat sherbert.

8. Laughs O Lot

:eek:No way! Ocean is a very kind, gentle crab. Climbing on top of a hermie is the closest she would ever come to harming one! I think she just like the shelter of the coco-hut. I'll put the soda bottle anyways.

9. clover

ok! that was kind of a joke! haha

10. Laughs O Lot

LOL clover! I guess Crusty wants to eat Sherbert too because I found him in the coco hut last night! :eek: I can't find any soda bottle-type thing that will fit on top of the coco hut. What should I use?

11. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Laughs,
    It is very important to isolate a surface molter as the molting smell can be irresistable to the other crabs, no matter how kind or gentle they are. Nature takes it's course, and the other crabs could end up eating Sherbert's exo, or even attacking Sherbert because of the irresistable smell. Not out of mean-ness at all, but nature.

Don't move sherbert of course, and don't move the cocohut, but maybe you can find something like a flexible piece of plastic somewhere that you can wrap into a circle?
    Perhaps you may even have to find a hard piece of plastic or a small glass picture frame that you can use to isolate off one corner, then move Sherbert very carefully bu scooping up the substrate underneath and setting him down in the corner and put the cocohut back on top.
    I don't like the idea of moving a surface molter, as that alone can increase their chance of dying, but there is real danger from the other crabs.
    Can someone more experienced chime in here? I personally would visit the website I use to get advice at crabstreetjournal.com - The first land hermit crab magazine online and in print and ask them, as there are very experienced crabbers there who log on daily. Dont' mean to step on toes here, but this is just a little out of my league at the moment. I've seen different kinds of advice given even in a surface molter situation. It really depends on the situation.
    Sorry I couldn't help more Laughs!

BTW, has Sherbert already molted, or just still sitting there? If Sherbert molted, is there any exo left?

12. Laughs O Lot

She shed her exo, and only has two pieces of legs left to eat. I don't think she is trying to go out of the coconut hut yet, but moves around in it. Is she almost done? Is it less dangerous to move them if they are almost done? Should I put some extra food in there for her?

13. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Sounds like she's doing pretty well :) She still has the exo to eat, so probably doesn't need any extra food, but will need it when she is done. It's good if she has the option to get something different though, just in case. Sounds like you've taken good care of her. :)

I am unsure if it's okay to move her or not, I sure wish someone more experienced would come answer :)

Tell you what, if putting her in a corner with her hut, her exo, some tiny dishes of food and water will work and you can section it off, go ahead. I think she will be okay. Just when you move her, scoop her up with a large spoon or such so that you are getting some substrate from where she is along with her. Don't worry if some of her exo buries a little when you move her with it, she can dig it out if she needs to.
    Sound good? I do hope I'm not giving bad advice, I would just think she's probably better off if the other crabs aren't coming in and bothering her, even to the point that it means disturbing her enough to move her.

14. clover

isnt she still in the food dish? if so you can put the dish in iso

15. Laughs O Lot

Thank you so much, crabbyjo! When I moved her with the spoon, she came out of her shell and started looking around, thinking, "Aaah! What am I being moved by a giant spoon for!?!?" Lol. Then I put in some cracked egg shells and honey and two water bottle caps filled with fresh and salt water. Then I put the coco hut on her and used two plastic cd cases to isolate her in a corner. I couldn't find any other peice of plastic. Is this okay? Before I put the cocohut on Sherb was moving around, but when I walked towards her she went back into her shell.

16. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

lol that's creative. I knew you could come up with something!
    I think you can give her a little more variety of food at this point as well. She needs some chitin rich sources as well as calcium, and a steamed shrimp with the exo still on is great for that, as well as some kelp and/or spirulina, and some unsweetened coconut if you have it, and maybe some broccoli. Here's a link with some great lists for food groups: Food Group Search Page
    Thanks to Clover for asking for it so I had it on hand. :)

Oh, you know what I keep in my crab's cage for chitin? Cork bark! You can find that at pet stores. Also cholla wood. Unless I'm thinking of another nutrient and thinking it's chitin, but I'm pretty sure. :)

17. clover

what is chitin? the site you gave me says crickets

18. Laughs O Lot

Oh my gosh clover, when you said cricket I got a laugh attack! I'm in one of my crazy weirdness spells right now! :D I have both cork bark and choya wood in my tank as climbing toys! Should i shred a piece up for Sherb? I wanted to get shrimp but my mom wouldn't let me because it would smell bad. :( I probably have broccoli though.

19. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Chitin is part of what the crab's exoskeleton is made of, along with calcium and protein. If you scroll down on that page, you'll see the cork bark, cholla wood, and mushrooms listed. I don't think mushrooms are a strong source of it, but I feed it to my crabs now and then anyway. I suppose I could go buy some dead crickets from my pet store. Hadn't thought of that lol.

I've seen my crabs munching on the husk of their cocohuts (I made them from coconuts I'd bought and after we got the good stuff out we boiled them and put them in the tat) as well as munching on the cork bark. It's great for climbing on too. :)

20. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Laughs, the shrimp won't smell bad, really!
    Tell Mom you'll chop it up and freeze it and only put it in the dish in small pieces, so it won't even smell! Just make sure and take it out the next day, you never want to leave something like that in longer than 24hrs. :) It might smell a teeny bit in the tank, but you won't even smell it walking by the tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.