1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surface Molt Idea I came up with

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by OneOnion, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I came up with this idea, and if people think it's okay, then maybe it could be sticky'd in the emergency section to help people. It's a thing I came up with for dealing with surface molts. I haven't tried it myself, because I haven't had a surface molt, but it seems pretty logical? Here it is.

"
    1. Get a small tupperware container. Pretty much any size will do, as long as it has a lid and the crab can fit in it. He won't be doing much moving if he's surface molting.

2. Fill it at most 1/3 of the way with moist substrate. This can be Eco-Earth, Sphagnum Moss, or line it with damp paper towel. Make sure that it is damp, and not soaking. Wetting it with salt water will help prevent mold, but it isn't needed as long as you check on it periodically. Since it is a surface molt, it doesn't need to be very deep.

3. Punch holes into the lid, to provide ventilation, but make sure the holes are not too big. The container will be placed in the tank, and is meant to isolate the crab as well as provide a nice moist dark place to aid in molting. Having the holes so big that other crabs can fit in, and that a lot of light gets in will defeat the purpose.

4. Use a big spoon or clam shell, or anything like that to scoop the crab up and place it into the container. While it's on the spoon, you can use your hand to hold the shell so that it doesn't roll off. If the crab has no shell, place in its original shell and another one.

5. Close the container and place it into the tank. Check on it every few days, or if you hear movement in the container. Once the crab is back and acting normal, and after it eats most of its exo, put it back into the tank. Provide a lot of calcium rich foods for the next few days, and make sure it's acting normal.
    "

That's all I have. If you have any questions or comments or suggestions to improve it, then go ahead. Criticism's fine, too, if you really believe that it's wrong. I hope to have this pinned in the emergency section someday, once everyone agrees on it.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

thats pretty much what alot of us do. I mean a small KK in the tank and or the coke bottle method is used. Same principle. I still think they feel safer if its dark so something over it helps like a plant or a cave etc. I mean as long as you can keep the tupperware/container warm I thnk its better out of the tank as I think there is less likely hood of a turn over or someone scratchin at it. (kinda like your in the bathroom and someone is trying to get in :chuckle:) that in turn equals less "survival stress" IMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.