1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surface Molt!! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by danofofano, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danofofano

danofofano "Never Molted"

:eek:mg: I walked into my room after seeing a movie and I saw two happy crabs and an almost dead looking crab hanging out of its shell! I think I saw a shiny new crab behind it and I put half a pop bottle over it. What should i do to help him? My tank is in great condition and I thought he was going to molt and this happened. :eek:mg:

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

leave him be for the moment do you have an iso tank? if you have one you can take a saucer and scoop up under him, be very careful and then go stick him iso just set the saucer and all down take the pop lid off though and put him some where dark and quiet with the food and waters he is going to need. hoping for the best for you!

he wasn't a newly purchased crab like with in the last 2 weeks? If so he could of been going through post purchase stress and it's something that happens we can't control.
    this is what I would do if my crab were doing this cause I have a bully that would rip him to shreds if I didn't remove him, so you use your best judgement

3. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

I've had a surface molt before, I just took a large can, cut off the top and bottom, put it over the crab...I also put some water in a little shell and some cuttlebone in there for when he's almost done his molt and is able to walk around a little bit.
    Hope this helps!

Good luck with your crab!

4. danofofano

I'm afraid he may be dead. He hasn't came out of his shell or moved at all since Tuesday. If he is dead let it be known that he was a great crab, and shouldn't have died so soon. Eric was an awesome crab.

Edit: He is alive! He I placed two nice shells in my makeshift ISO and hopefully he will be okay!

5. scoobdoo

yeahooo, hope for the best for him!
    * I have read metal is harmful to crabs, ya never want to have anything in the tank that is metal or exposed wires. Thought I would throw that in since I saw the word {can}.

Just give him his privacy, lots of quiet time, protien, honey, shaved cuttle bone is easier for them, organic peanut butter.

6. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

:eek:ops2: yeah scoobdoo's right, the metal can be harmful to crabs, especially if it gets wet and rusts...

Then I guess you're doing the right thing with the half soda bottle :)

7. danofofano

He is munching on his exo as I type! I feel a slight sense of success! My first molt is successful so far! :kellie:

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:cheer: AlRight!!! Phew...what a nail biter! Glad Eric pulled through. Leave him in ISO until he's moving around the tank pretty good before you put him back in the main tank.

:cheer: Cheers to you Scoobdoo for the great advice.

9. scoobdoo

no thanks required, just helping out, remembered that metal was harmful so I passed on the word. Doing what any of us would of done for an other crabber.

10. danofofano

He is finished with the molt and starting to move around! He is drinking alot of water and eating his food. When should I return him to the main tank? He is getting pretty active and right now he is out. since he is active during daytime should I put him in the main tank today?

11. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I would give him a couple more days just to make sure the exo has completely hardened but thats up to you. Is his shed exo gone? How big is he?

12. danofofano

His exo is gone except part of one of the legs. He looks a little smaller but I heard that is normal.

13. scoobdoo

I ended up taking the rest of exo out after a fews when they quit showing interest in eating it and was eating more of their reg foods. I gave mine a gentle bath before I returned him to the tank with the others because I have a bully & that if they have that molting smell on them, he would attack them & try to rip them from the shell. You may not have any troubles, but if this is a first time molter with you, you might keep an eye on your others and they react to your crab when you put him back in after he rest a few days in iso

14. danofofano

I came home after a trip to see fireworks at the lake and saw my cute little just molted hermit crab completely out of his shell, dead. It was so unexpected. I gave him the recommended post molt food, perfect heat and humidity and salt and fresh water. He was my very first hermit crab, he will be missed. :notfair: :crybaby2:

15. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:eek:mg: :sad5: I am sooo sorry Danofofano. :hug2:

Sometimes the molting process is so strenuous that the little Hermies just don't have the strength to recover. I'm sure you did all you could. sigh...I feel your pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.