1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

super and big

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by thetruechina, Nov 14, 2010.

1. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Re: update on super and big

It will be over twice the size of your 10. And you could make a second level pretty easy.It will be good for 5 hermies.They are great tanks but have you looked into a 40gal breeder? I think they are about the same price but it isnt as fancy as the exo terra tanks. You have crabs molting right now so just look at all of your options.

2. thetruechina

thetruechina (Small Crab)

Thats what im doing i gotta be cost smart cause its my hubby whos buying its my late christmas gift lol yeah i thought about a 40g long tank im still undecided but ill see if i can talk him in to getting the one you suggested  :rubhands: he actally like the style of the exo's. and they have them at amazon for 129 for right now so we will see.

3. thetruechina

Ok I heard chirping coming from the tank this afternoon any suggestions on what to do they just started chirping again tonight

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Have you ever herd the phrase 'curiosity killed the cat'. Look at it this way..... their still alive right!

5. thetruechina

So just leave them be if they start chirping like crazy?

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

If they are under there could be a number of reasons for them to chirp. Do you know where they are?Are they both chirping? Are they close together.Cant really tell you why? Have they been down over a month? How big are they? Some chirp while they are molting that is why I ask.I can not tell you one way or another but the advice you would get from most of us is to let them be.But if you do go looking do not cover them back up with no air pocket. You will have to make an artificial one.
    This is why I like a bigger tank. Chances of them running into each other is less.

7. thetruechina

Yeah I know where both of them are they are no where near close to each other. And i know its Big thats doing it cause when i walked up to the tank I couldnt see him but apparently he could feel me walking to the tank cause he did like this growl like noise it was so cute. when i checked on him last i made him a artifical cave he dug out from under it and ended up under the food bowl crazy crab. I know hes done molting just the matter of him coming topside. According to hubby he was chriping all day yesterday.

8. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

At least you know that there is nothing to worry about. I'm glad everything is ok.

9. thetruechina

Me to just wish they would come topside and see what momma has done with their tank I still gotta post pics i know ill have to find out if the chirping continued today im just excited that im hearing something coming from the tank again it was soo quite for tooo long. I cant wait to get that bigger tank oh and trixie the better half said i could get the 24x18x18 once we move to our new place hehehe  :spunky: :katertater:

10. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I'm so glad about the tank.
    i will give you an example. I use exo terra digital hygrometer and thermometer. (separate not a dual). The probes are on the inside of the tank and the readout is on the outside. I have been having a problem with the substrate being to dry. Everytime I mist it is evaporated within an hour. I have molters down so I cant moisten all of it. But the humidity in the tank is a steady 83% almost all of the time.( I do have a backup on the substrate inside the tank and it reads the same) If there is a problem with the humidity it is cause it is to high. It also keeps a good temp between 74 night 78 day. With just heat lamps. It is very easy to regulate.
        About the chirping..... I apologize if this is stupid I dint mean to offend you but are you sure it is chirping or could it be them clawing on the glass underground? I have herd mine do that all day at times and it can sound a little like chirping.

11. thetruechina

Ill keep that in mind getting two temp/humid graphs when i get the new tank. as far as the chirping yeah im sure its chirping ive heard both and hubby said someone was doing it this afternoon but nothing since then. i just misted the tank waiting for everything to level off. Now that the house heater is fixed the tank stays a happy 77degrees at 80 humidity i know thats a bit high but with me being gone for so long day after day i worry about things going to low. Ive been able to keep it at that setting on its own since we got the heat in the house back to normal. the other day when i uncovered big just briefly he chripped at me LOL i told him hold on one sec and he got quiet after i covered him up with the castle he started again like he was asking why you bothering me for. LOL silly boy.

12. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

He sounds like a crab. :biglaugh:

13. thetruechina

I thought it was funny that he responded back that way I think he gets that im not gonna hurt him but he was saying stay out of my space.

14. thetruechina

Well the heater isnt working right but I got some great news!!!!!!! I woke up this morning to find Big up and about and done with his first molt and he changed shells!!!!!! I got thru my first molt!!!!! :banana: :shmama: :kellie: :cheer: Hes been in the food and I cant tell about the water but he looks so good in his new shell!!!! Ill try and get pics taken tonight after I get off of work.

15. thetruechina

As promised a freshly redone tank and introducing Big I'm one very happy crabby momma
    [img=400x300]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/thetruechina/Crabs/100_0397.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x300]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/thetruechina/Crabs/100_0398.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x300]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/thetruechina/Crabs/100_0400.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x300]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/thetruechina/Crabs/100_0401.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x300]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/thetruechina/Crabs/100_0399.jpg[/img]