1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

super and big

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by thetruechina, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Re: update on super and big

just ask people when ya go into places where the shower caddies are you maybe to go into K Marts or Menards or other places or ask for bathroom accessories for showers and tubs go into detail, tell them they are the suction cup type, they should beable to take you to them. Even try Wal Greens?

2. Mariah

Mariah "Preparing For First Molt"

At vickys store here on this website there's shower carties and nets and suction cups.

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I think the desk lamp would work fine. It's one of those that bend. Or not?

4. thetruechina

thetruechina (Small Crab)

Yeah its one of those silver ones that bends what size watt should i use for my 10g tank?

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I think a 40 would be fine. I use a 75 on my 65 gal when the house is 70 deg.

6. thetruechina

What kind of light would you recommend a reg house bulb or a moon bulb?

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I would get a infrared heat bulb. You could use it day and night. Or get a night glo heat bulb.

8. thetruechina

ok i picked up the glow night but it wont fit in the lamp ill have to find a lamp that it will work in thanks trixi all i got left to add to the tank is the plants and something i can use to make a double hidie

9. thetruechina

Ok the boys have been down for a month well for the last two night we havent had heat so the temp has been sitting at 68 finally got a lamp with a dimmer so i was able to get the temp back up but now having humidity issues and with it being cold i moved the tank to the living room where the fire place is i took a peak and big looked weird i know it is bad to uncover them but being a worried momma i uncover and found that he molted so i took the castle and cover him and the front of the castle up to give him is privacy I hope i didn't stress him to much. But now with the light i'm not sure how to keep the humidity stable its gets either to high or to low any suggestions would be helpful.

10. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Is your hygrometer on the surface or on the middle of the tank. The humidity is always higher on the surface. Also if there is no ventilation then the air will remain still and sometimes hygrometers have a hard time with it being accurate when the air is so still. I'm sorry to say but the bigger your tank is the easier it is to hold humidity. It might help to mist the objects you have in there. Really soak em down. If there is condensation on the glass and the substrate is moist you should be fine. Just keep a lid on it. I'm more concerned with the heat. Try to get that up a little.
    I have 3 that have been down for a month also. It doesn't bother me anymore. They only molt once a year so I expect them to be under for a good while. Have patients. They know what they are doing. Try not to move the tank again. And I would put a blanket over the tank to keep it dark. It might relieve some stress. You will still have to mist the tank.

11. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have some down now since about end of Nov, I accidently found one last week when I lifted a decoration to clean poo, thought he was on the other side of the tank! He still had his air pocket & was in his shell, with e.e. mounded around him & under him. I took a few slate rocks and tee pee it overed him since was in a corner, I actually left a little hole and the next day he must of dug some more cause there is e.e. pushed through it. My temp is fine & so is humidity. I could of swore they had already molted. :think: But like they say they know what they are doing, they might just be hybernating. right now I have 1 sad loney crab

12. thetruechina

Ok heat has been fixed luckily it was just the thermostate so when i woke up this morning the tank was at 77 degrees at 76 humidty i wish i knew the right number to keep them at i know the range. I just want it perfect for them i was finally able to at some greenery to the tank and i got two new pools for them. my temp/humid gage is on ground level as soon as im able and it beening nice and warm in the house ill take some pics. trixi you said with a bigger tank its eaiser what size would you recommend cause im looking to get a bigger tank i just cant go over board the one im looking at the other half was like DO WHAT thats a bit much but it was only 250 lol

13. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I have a 36x18x24 reptile glass terrarium. If you put in the same measurement's for an aquarium it is about a 65gal. It was quit pricey. But you can find big aquariums for cheap on Craig's list if you keep an eye on it.
    I would like to get a larger aquarium but the room I have the tank in is small so I wont be able to until my husband gets rid of his ugly monster of a gun cabinet.

14. thetruechina

Ok that is the same one i was looking at i was able to find the same thing on ebay for like 175 and the hubby was fine with that price. i just wish i knew what size would be good seeing when it gets warm im wanting to get 3 more crab babies.

15. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

It is a exo terra reptile tank. It is on the 2011 january photo contest. I love the front doors and the vents in the front. It really helps with circulation which helps the humidty and you will never have to worry about mold. Best investment!!!
    The only weakness is the doors. I have to be very careful not to over extend the doors or they will break off and shatter.

16. thetruechina

Cool i was wondering about the other pluses to it other than the doors which is the one thing i really like about it. I saw that pic i love your tank. Ill keep looking see if I can find one thats alot cheaper so far i found some others on ebay for way less. I want them to have plenty of room to move the 10g i have doesnt give them room to really move around im still playing with the decorations. I cant wait for them to come back up and see what ive done to their tank.

17. thetruechina

18. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

How big is the one you have now? That is about 25gal.

19. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I like the 24x18x18 a little better. You will also need a single pane piece of glass or plexyglass to put on the top of the screen lid.

20. thetruechina

the one i have now is a 10g fish tank so im looking to go alittle bigger i gotta keep in mind of space and cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.