1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

super and big

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by thetruechina, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetruechina

thetruechina (Small Crab)

Re: update on super and big

how big was it that is somethg i could definantely do have to get another uth but thats ok i still got the button temp humid gauge that i was using before i got the digi and i got a whole block of coco husk that i can still use

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

not sure how big it is, I guess I'd say in hieght 7 or 8 inches tall length 24 in long maybe 12 in wide, I have mine in a very warm room over by a heat vent but not right by it, no uth cause I'm in a very small town and about 30 miles away from a pet store and don't have the gas $ to just run there and pick one up and they are very $ and had some other expenses come up and couldn't afford to get one now.

3. thetruechina

Ok cool Ill have to keep my eyes out for one thanks for the ideas. super is up one min and down the next lol hes so funny i couldnt tell if he ate last night i know he didnt get a drink of water. Just got my package from vickie :cheer: Cant wait to get back home and try her foods out and see what they like and don't. Big is still no where to be found tried to peek under the tank hes hidden himself really good so i hope he just molting. just have to wait and see.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

OOoooooo......getting a package from Vicki is like opening presents at Christmas time!!

5. thetruechina

Ive heard I can't wait to get back home to open it :icon_jokercolor: and see what the guys think about their new foods.

6. scoobdoo

The mailman gets driven nuts by me when I order stuff! After a week I'm asking him everyday did I get something from crab patch or hermit crab addiction? Then when I get home the stuff is on the table I rip into it and decide what will I feed them tonight? They really like the dried worms! Tonight it's peanut butter topped with dried worms with a side of really ripe pears.

7. thetruechina

they got a grape, carrots, seafood food from vickies store and one more thing they didnt touch it last night will see if they touched it during the day seeing i still dont have a light for them yet so i think the night/day is mixed up

8. thetruechina

still no sign from super not even sure where he has buried himself super well he keeps going from one corner to another

9. scoobdoo

they miss each other, I had just the two & when one went down the othe just moped around and he sat where the other went down! I ended up going and getting a new buddy. The 3 now are always together.

10. thetruechina

gonna have to get super a buddy to here soon it looks like maybe on sunday he was up when i got home to check on him and put fresh food in for them he went right into his shell and probably stay there until he knew i was gone lol

11. thetruechina

got home tonight looks like they ate really good last night degrees were a little off getting those straightened out right now. while i was spot cleaning and fluffing the ee and i almost dug up big i stopped as soon as i saw the top of his shell. I'm hoping i didn't disturb him to much. I would really hate it if something happens to him. but i am glad i now know where he is buried.

12. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Just a word of caution about "fluffing the substrate".
    Hermies have different levels of burying---some Waaay down, others close to the top, and others in the middle.

When you stir the substrate, please make sure it is just the very top layer that you disturb. There is a danger of collapsing a tunnel and sealing off their air supply. If they are in a molt they may not have the strength to re-open the collapsed tunnel. :flower:

13. thetruechina

he was buried on the shallow side of the tank so i don't think i disturbed him. super has made him him a whole inside the little pyramid i made and hes sealed up the door so you cant see inside. But it was obvious someone was active but not sure who.

14. scoobdoo

I only fluff when I know where all my herms are.

15. thetruechina

I tried to find him before i did anything but couldnt locate him by looking under the tank. Still counting down I really do hope he comes thru his molt ok if that is what he is actually doing hes been down for going on week number 3. hes about the size of a golf ball any one have any ideas on how long one that big takes to molt before i start getting worried?

16. thetruechina

I got home tonight to find an empty tank with two dug holes looks like super is down now not sure if hes molting too or if he just moving around this sucks having an empty tank so wish i could get some more. but with my luck i would probably go out and get some that needed to molt too LOL I'm glad to have a place where i can keep my thoughts on this. my better half has already told me once we move we are getting a bigger tank just not sure on what size i should go to any suggestions?

17. thetruechina

well i got a very special surprise this morning big finally showed himself even though he was still buried. it was like he was saying hey mom im still kicking :)

18. thetruechina

Its been two weeks and i havent seen neither one of them for about two days this week neither ate and there was no ee in the water bowls so i know that means no one came up to eat or drink. Ive had popcorn in their food bowl along with some food from the addcition store and their is cuttle bone in a shell so they always have a calcium source. I really wish I knew what they were doing. Its getting really cold here and im having problems keepng the heat up in the tank i just added another uth to the tank hopeing that it will help. I know I need to get lights cant afford to get them right now. Any suggestions on how to keep the heat up in there tank. Keep in mind where I'm staying the folks keep the thermostat in the house on 70. Ive got aluminum foil across the back of the tank and a towel on top of the screen with a small opening to keep fresh air going into the tank. Any suggestions would be appricated.

19. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

a clamp light and bulb are much cheaper than a uth.
    How big is your tank? If it is a 10gal then you could put the glass out of 2 8x10 picture frames on the top of the tank.You can get them at a dollar store. A 75watt clamp light at wallmart cost about 8.00 to 10.00 and a bulb you can pick up 5 if you look at wallmart. This one here sells reptile heat bulbs. I also think that wallmart caries 50 wat clamp lights so It would be cheaper.

20. thetruechina

Its a 10gallon tank thanks for the idea on getting the glass i have been trying to figure out how i was going about getting glass top for the tank. Will a desk light work using one of the day/night blubs? Or do they get to hot? I've been trying to find the shower caddies that i keep seeing in everyones tank but i haven't had any luck finding them can someone tell me where to find them ive check walmart with no luck. Where can i find the nets at?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.