1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

super and big

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by thetruechina, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetruechina

thetruechina (Small Crab)

Got home tonight and big is now completely buried with no signs of ever coming up super has now buried himself in the back corner i hope they are either destressing or molting will keep you posted put popcorn with the shrimp green pepper pinapple and part of a chicken bone hopefully ill see something gone tomorrow will keep yall posted now i see what ive been reading it is worrysome when they go down below.

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Re: update on super and big

LOL! Don't stress yourself, they know what they are doing! Alot of times after they have had sometime to get some goodies in the belly other than the junk they get fed in the pet shops they will go down, sometimes it will be to molt others it maybe to de stress it could be for a day or even a week then come back up. if they do go down and molt they could be down for a month to 4 months! depending on their size. I had mine go down exactly 2 months after I got him and molt for 2 months, this time one took about 2-3 months and this other 4 months! just don't go digging for them, unless there is really a reason to. You can cave in their air pocket if they are molting and if you disrupt them it can stress them and they will die on you. we have all been where you are a newbie crabby mommie!

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I have been doing this for almost 3 yrs now and I never know why crabs do what they do. My fav. is named Dutch. H went down about a month ago. I marked it on the calendar and thought 6 to 8 wks. Then two weeks later there he was in the food dish. The next day he was gone again. So I scribbled out the date I marked and put an x on another date. Ok now 6 to 8 weeks from now. Guess who showed up a week later!
    Again I scribble the mark I made on the day I last saw him. I dont know if I include the original date or the last one. He was up for a bite and then went back down. I have no idea!
    They might vanish and then come up for food or drink in the middle of the night and then go back under. They might do this for weeks untill they destress or molt. I know its hard but just let them do their own thing. They will put on a show sooner or later.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hermit crabs can also go down "just to go down". Some of mine love to tunnel in the EE and some mornings when I get up there are holes all over the place.
    It's like they went "Clubbing" the night before! :chuckle:

It's like Trixie said, :no idea: :dontknow:

No matter what the case is though, you are doing the right thing by continuing to offer them food and clean waters. You just never know! :flower:

5. thetruechina

i checked on them before i left for work someone got up and had some popcorn but both were buried so we will see when i get home tonight

6. thetruechina

Both super and big are still buried havent heard a peep out of them so hopefully they are just doing their molt thing we will see now i see what everyone is talking about as far as constantly worring

7. thetruechina

they messed with the popcorn couldnt tell if they messed with the carrots or celery leaves or scrambled eggs but tonight more popcorn drizzled in honey with a piece of beef that i nooked in the microwave with some free dried krill hopefully they will eat something and it looked like no one went in to the pools last night so placed freshed waters out for them as well. I cant wait to see them come above.

8. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Hermit crabs eat very little. Most of the time you wouldnt ever know they have eatin anything. And can go for long periods of time without eating or drinking for absolutely no reason. I dont think mine have taken a sip in 4 days but I know they are all fine ( only 2 on the surface now). I think. Who knows where they are. I just go with the flow

9. thetruechina

woke up this morning they ate reallly good last night and someone got some water im gonna try and stay awake to see if i find out if both are coming up or if its just super i heard him scraping on the glass yesterday

10. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

you could just videotape them throughout the whole night... so you can get ur sleep! :bed:

11. thetruechina

LOL I would do that if i had a video camera!!!!! Got home tonight to find more food eaten :flower: and what else did i find they had dug underneath one of the water bowls soon as i moved the water bowl some of the substrate fell so i took everything out which isn't much and sprayed really really good hopefully ill be able to see someone tonight been hearing scratching so im guessing this is good news. Im so thankful for this site so i can record and get any advice from those that have been doing this much longer. Can't wait to see what they do with vickies food once it gets here!!!!!! :eek:nhead:

12. thetruechina

Ok now this is so not fair i figured out a way to use my computer and tried to use the camera on it to catch them can you believe they never came up.... grrrrrr guess ill have to wait and see if and when they decide to come up.... going to go get some things for there tank today hopefully what i get will convince them not to bury if they arent molting.

13. thetruechina

:biglaugh: I got home tonight to a wonderful surprise even with it being short lived got to see super up and about when i got home soon as i added everything and got fresh food and water in the tank he dug under. I cant wait for them to fineally get used to me. Heres some pics of super and the additions to there tank I know i need to get some plants will get those soon i hope.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5514192&l=042a3ab090&id=752868399
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5514191&l=ae1700fe8a&id=752868399

14. scoobdoo

I like your box you made! I couldn't figure out what you were talking about, shell box. ahhhh now I know, I had that stuff just up on the side of my tank so they could crawl up to the jungle vine. plastic or silk plants are fine to use, some times they will chew the plastic ones, silk ones frey or fray after time and you have to watch them cause they can mold, I never had any of mine do that but have heard of it. Don't want to get any that have parts that look like pollen and rub off easy, they might eat it. I spent 10$ on jungle vine and the buggers ate the stuff off to the wire! So now it's dollar tree, or 50% off hobby lobby, always need an excuse to go there!

15. thetruechina

super was still up just hiding in the back buried alittle still no sign of big i so wish i could check on him but i know not to disturb him i heard chirping last night and super was digging on the side where big is but not close to where i last saw big at i wish it would warm up so i can get one more crab baby i just hope super doesnt get stressed from being out by himself hes got a large omlet all to himself but i know he loves popcorn

16. scoobdoo

ever think of those hand feet warmers you either shake to activate or break or crack and set one inside covered with a rag to block direct heat and then set inside a lunch box ya know the collapsable ones? Then you can set the crab box inside of it to transport it home. I did it 2 yrs ago when I got one for Valentines Day, Feb was still colod here. I went in I took it to the counter and told them I was buying a crab so they didn't think I was bringing in a bomb!

17. thetruechina

ill have to keep that in mind when i go get the next one if its cold out its getting in the 60s here in nc during the day so those warmers would help alot hmmmm how would i go to introducing a new crab with big still down?

18. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

It needs to be in iso for a few weeks. Maybe big will be up by then.

19. thetruechina

ok i understand the iso thing just one problem until i have room for another 10g tank or up grade the main tank all i have is the carrier the previous owners had them in which i know isnt acceptable any suggestions on what else i could use i would hate to lose super because big is/if molting

20. scoobdoo

because I couldn't fit the hut through the 5 gal lid that is attached to the tank I have I went and got a clear plastic rubber maid container for an e.r. iso. I drilled holes in the lid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.