1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sup?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by BrassCityBeast, Aug 16, 2010.

1. BrassCityBeast

BrassCityBeast Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey all, I guess you could call me a new crabber ^^. The last time i had one was when i was maybe 7? 10 years later, walking through earthbound trading co. and a couple of them really drew my eye. one was a small-medium crab i nicknamed wall-e, and the other was a medium-large crab i nicknamed creepy, he creeps when he walks lol. wall-e was Ecuadorian and creepy was a pp. i grew really fond of them and spent roughly $100 so far in caring for them. worth it. sadly to say, they started moving very slowly, being very lethargic, and developed mites. (this was after i rescued yet another crab from a pets-mart store, nicknamed bean. about the size of a nickel. and I'm also looking after my 5 year old sis's hermit crab, nicknamed kitty) after the tank was infested, i, being a novice, didn't catch it in time for wall-e. i got rid of the mites, got rid of them on the crabs with many, many baths over the period of a week. and replaced the substrate with coconut fiber, instead of play sand (the culprit of the mites). i also bought a humidity and temperature gauge, and was shocked to see that my humidity was alarmingly low. so i started draping a slightly damp towel over the mesh lid of the 20 gallon tank, and its worked great. so far, creepy has perked up LOADS and seems to be flourishing. bean has finally come out of his shell after enduring abuse from the pets-mart woman, and kitty climbs everything. I'm really trying to do everything right by the crabs, especially after the sudden loss of wall-e. which is of course why i joined this site of experts ^^. i hope to upload pics of my crabitat for "inspection" , (though im extremely embarrassed after seeing y'alls) and of the crabs themselves shortly, as im not very camera savvy lol. thanks for having me here! 

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Hi, there! :welcome: It's good to have you here, and we're all glad to have you as a part of our community! :straw:
    Crab deaths are always hard... I know, because I lost all my hermit crabs!
    But, anywho, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask! No question is a dumb one, and we'd be happy to help, with anything you'd like!

3. BrassCityBeast

Thanks! I actually do have a question, Ive noticed my smallest crab bean digging very often, completely burying himself for days at a time, and i usually don't catch the crabs eating, even though i know they do, but he was really gorging earlier.. is this a sign of an oncoming molt or just de-stressing and getting his strength up?

4. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

There are many reasons why he is doing these things, and none of them necessarily meaning there is an incoming molt. (Of course, it's possible, but there are better signs, or more, to look for.)

Your hermie could be cold, and trying to bury into the substrate to get warm, he could be stressing, (as you suggested) and just wants some time to himself, he might want to get away from the light, (do you have shelters for your hermit crabs?) or he possibly might be burying for no reason at all, and just to bury.

The food issue is not a problem. Hermit crabs eat very little amounts, and like variety in their diet. (What are you feeding them?) When they do eat, they eat small quantities, and you can hardly tell that they touched the food, other than a distinctive trail of substrate, and leftover food, to and from the food dish. Also, if your hermit crab seems to be gouging large amounts of food one day, and small, on others, that's fine. Maybe he just has a larger appetite that day, or likes something particular that you are feeding him... Maybe he didn't get enough breakfast, because the other hermit crabs ate it all before he woke up! :chuckle: But I truthfully don't think it is a problem...

Signs to look for, to tell if you have an upcoming molt are long periods of time in the water dish, lots of burying, and staying underground a lot, etc;. For more info., on molting clues, check out this thread, created by Hermit Crab Paradise, another online hermit crab discussion forum. It is a wonderful community, and the link to it, is on the left-hand side, in the column that displays all the site-links, including the Hermit Crab Addiction Store.

Here. I have copied this article from the Hermit Crab Paradise Forum. It explains the symptoms/clues/signs, that your hermit crab will show, if it is going to molt:

1. Presence of a dark, round sack of fat and water inside the hermit crab's shell.
    2. The hermit crab's eyes appear to fade in color, like cataracts.
    3. The hermit crab's exoskeleton appears ashy and worn out.
    4. Change of the hermit crab's eating and drinking habits. Some hermit crabs will eat more, while others will not eat at all.
    5. The hermit crab sits in a water dish, particularly the saline one, for long periods of time.
    6. The hermit crab becomes dormant and unsocial.
    7. The hermit crab has a non-stop urge for digging.
    8. If the hermit crab was missing legs or claws, then a whitish gel bud will grow on the area where the limb was detached from the hermit crab's body. The gel bud will later grow into a full sized limb after a few molts.

Good luck! Tell me what happens!

5. BrassCityBeast

:add:
    very nice advice, thanks.

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:welcome:  BrassCityBeast...glad to have you here.  :flower:

7. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

what she said!  :madhouse:

8. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

You're very welcome! Remember, this is a kind, helpful, and active community, and we're all here to help, and answer any questions you may have!

9. alliswell777

alliswell777 Guest

Earthbound Trading Co. is where i got my last 3 crabs from. Tilly-bob & Gomer died, unfortunately :crybaby2: our latest addition is little Petri (tooo cute!!) i see that they(Earthbound) display their crabs in  a sandbox-like set up, with completely dry sand, a frisbee with a huge wet sponge in the middle of it, a couple dishes of caked up food, & no cover whatsoever on top of the sand box. lots of extra shells & a few hideys i noticed. i was curious about the humidity of the whole deal & asked a kid working there. he said these were tree crabs & the humidity (in the store) was sufficient for them. one little guy i saw struggling a few weeks back (was unable to buy him that day), was in poor shape. the clerk said he thought he was trying to molt, because he kept trying to burrow down into the giant sponge they had. when i went back later that week to get him, he was gone. i didnt see the one clerk to ask if he was purchased or passed away. what do you guys think of that dry sand & no cover? can Vicky still send out a care sheet to this place? i saw an old post about care sheets sent out to clueless pet stores & hermit vendors. 

10. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

wowzer, what a story! sadly the store owners & employees have not a clue as what crabs need as far as what care they really need,  The type that most everyone has here are the E.E. & P.P.'s from what I have read. My crabs 4 P.P.'s came from a store that was in an open area of a 5x 5 box with no lid, a scant of eco earth, filthy water, no food that I saw, one light bulb for heat, a lady that picked them up and misted them right in the face & a 5 yr old kid that would handle them, drop them on the floor { cement} or take them and play with them and lose them! They can escape, so yes a lid is needed! They can climb on things you would never even think they could! The corners of the tank, the silicone it's enough for their little legs to get a grip if they are small enough, and if you have an opening on your lid you want make sure it it is covered w something but still always some air flow. Sand needs to be sand castle consistency, not to wet.. they can't make an air pocket to molt in dry sand, it just caves around them & the sand needs to be at least 3x's deeper than your largest crab if I remember, to get down and do his job. Don't ever go looking for a buried crab either, let nature take it course, it will take a few weeks or even months for a crab to molt. I did, unburied a crab & ended up with a dead one :crybaby2: I don't use sponges, you have to keep zapping them in the micro wave to kill bacteria and find it's a pain and not worth taking a chance on makiing my crabs sick, I give em un salted air popped pop corn instead. Sorry to hear about your other crabs, hope I helped you out a little until vickie or one of the other can get to you, really look over all the threads and posts on here it's help you, next time your in the pet shop and they tell you something about crabs just smile and say thank you and run on home and look us up for info, some of us have had crabs a long long time and know more about them and other just a short time but have learned alot.