1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suet

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Sarah The Hermit Crab, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

Can hermit crabs eat suet?I don't mean the fresh stuff I mean the packaged stuff you would use to make bird cakes.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Whats in it? Sorry, not heard of it.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Suet is a beef or sheep fat. They used to use it a long time ago in this country for cooking and baking. They still use it in Europe for certain recipes.
    It also was used to make tallow for candles and soaps, though I don't think it is still used that much now.

Most of the suet I see today is used for bird feeders in the winter, and can be found in small cakes where they sell bird feed.
    The birds love it and apparently it is a source of energy for them.

One of my concerns in giving it to the crabbies is it will melt in warm conditions....just a thought. :think:

4. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

yeah, I thought that the heat and humidity might affect it. I'm looking for something I can use to clump food together to make a little "cake".I thought it might work as a vacation food.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can use hemp flour, it's used in the little muffins I sell at the store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.