1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

substrate question?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by marleyfish, Apr 25, 2011.

1. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

ok im going to be moving back to the sunshine state! i was wondering. does everyone use e.e. as substrate? where ill be living there is beautiful pure white sand and alot of ocean dwelling hermit crabs. would white beach sand be bad for my lil guys? because ive heard that sand attracts less bugs and ive had a real problem with mold gnats of late. so any help would be great. :idunno:

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Well, there's different trains of thought on that.  I personally have never used anything but EE and have had great luck with it.  But I know many who are die-hard sand users and would use nothing else.

Regarding the ocean sand...there are many toxins in the water,
    Gasoline from boats, oil from spills, micro organisms, etc.  Also many beaches have fines if you remove the sand.
    It would be a lot of work cleaning and baking the sand, plus hauling it to wherever, etc.

Some make the argument that the Hermie's come from there and are exposed to it every day, but, who knows. Do they live longer in store bought sand?  That's a decision you'll have to think about and do what you're comfortable with.

I hope you like it down there...it's just a tad too warm for me...I like the snow when we have it and the change of seasons up here in the North East.
    Plus, I don't think I could get used to decorating a Palm tree for Christmas!  LOL

3. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

:sunny: thanks for the input jellybean.
    appreciate the help :)

4. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

regardless of where you get your sand, I would put it in the oven to kill off any micro organisms and bacteria that could be in there.

I've used sand from sandbanks, ontario that I picked up while on vacation, no one dead yet. And in the grand scheme of things, if your crabs last 15 years instead of the 20-25+ they could in the wild, well that is about 14 years longer then most people keep their crabs. So go ahead and use what you like better and find nicer.