1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Substrate Poll For ISO's

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Eric, Jan 9, 2005.

?

Please Vote Your Favorite Substrate For Molting Crabs, Which One Is Most Successful For You & Your

1. Marine Sand (MS)

100.0%
  2. Eco Earth (EE)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. PlaySand (PS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fine Gravel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other (Please Explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I've had more completed molts in playsand, but I just had two little guys come up after molting in aragonite, and one more little guy I can hear digging his way back up -- hopefully he'll be another success as well. I'm surprised, actually that they'd ever molt in the aragonite when tunneling would be much easier in the playsand. They clearly prefer hanging out on the aragonite otherwise, though. The aragonite molters so far have all been small, and (I think) have not dug all the way down to the bottom. However, I have two large PPs down digging in the new smaller-grained aragonite I have in my big tank right now. Don't know if they're molting or exploring, though ... we'll see. [​IMG]

3. oimsofunny

oimsofunny Hi, I'm New Here!

I have had 16 successful molts since July 2004. 13 of those have been in the Eco Earth and only 3 has been in play sand.

4. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

I mix 3/4 EE and 1/4 playsand in two thirds of the tanks and play sand in the other third. Seems to work well for all the tunnel diggers! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

My crabs hate coconut fiber, and it went moldy in my tank in six days. I threw it out and never looked back.

All my molts have been in plain old beach sand. They have so far all been successful.

6. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I have only had one molt, whcih was successful, and one is molting now. I have playsand on bottom of tank, and one half of tank, then I put EE on top of the sand for the other half of the tank.
    The molter went under in the EE and the one that is molting now, is right in the middle, where the EE meets the playsand?

7. dansnprincess

dansnprincess Hi, I'm New Here!

I have play sand and coconut dried coconut fiber and my crabs love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.