1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Submerged Straw

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by kuplakrabs, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I got up this morning and like always peeked into the tank to see how the kiddies were doing. I panicked when I looked into the deep ocean basin and saw red legs underneath some pieces of aquarium plant. I opened the top and took the plant off the top of the crab and he retracted into his shell confirming that he was alive. So I decided not to touch him and just watch. I stood by the tank for a full TEN MINUTES! and watched as he stayed under--completely under the water. I don't know how long he was there before I got up, but I have just witnessed him staying submerged for a period of 10 minutes~very interesting.

I added this new pond only a week ago. Prior to that they had dishes that were about 2 inches deep and he did sit in that one on occassion for quite some time. Three days ago, I saw him "jump" (hehe) into the deep end of the ocean basin and go under and then come right back out-like he was testing it out LOL

Has anyone else sat and timed their straws that submerge?

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

I haven't timed them but one of my straws likes to submerge like that. I know he has been completely under for at least 5 min. [​IMG]

3. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

This is very interesting, We'll have to watch our one Straw when and if he ever comes back up from his molt...he has now been down for about a motnh, along with 2 e's a cav and an Indo...the Indo has been down about 2-3 weeks.

4. kuplakrabs

I went out shopping today and when I stopped back in to drop off packages, my straw was again in ocean basin...I watched the clock and him...40 minutes...I am not even kidding. He was in up past his eyes with just the top of his shell out of the water. There was a small gap where air could get into the shell, but his gills were completely under water. And, he kept his eyes under too!

He came out and started climbing on everything. He normally isn't overly active-not any more so than the rest of my crabs, but it was like he was taking a nice energizing bath. Then he perched himself up under the fluorescent light and basked in the warmth. Should be interesting when the other 2 straws join him after newbie ISO is over.

5. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]I think its great that you all have it set up so the straws can completly submerge under slat water, i think this is very good for them to do and be able to do when they want. I think its gona help alot of straws survive longer and better in captivity. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. babyreba

babyreba Hi, I'm New Here!

mine haven't stayed under for too long at a time, but they visit the 4-inch deep salty pool and the 3 inch deep water dish and submerge regularly--they do LOVE the water.

and they are such fun hermies to have! mine had their first chunks of sliced mango the other night, and they didn't eat it all, but they did put a good dent in it!

7. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

Kupla, did you set up the filtered basin thing, or what? How big is your tank and your basin? I dont think theres much I can do in a 20 [​IMG]
    right now I have the lizard lagoons, which they like a lot. I bet theyd love a deeper dip... (thinking...) I gotta see what other bowls I can get that will fit in there..

maybe one day.......when I get a bigger tank! [​IMG] (thinking of how to sneak THAT in the house!!)

8. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

I have a lizard lagoon type thing, too, but my Straws won't even look at it. I've never seen one of them actually get in the water. Maybe mine are just weird? I dunno. They do love to excavate in the sand though, and bury themselves.

9. kuplakrabs

Aviate,
    Actually, yes, I did set up a filtered basin. I've been monitoring the water like crazy...testing for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. It has only been going for 14 days in the tank (75 gallon) and I am still nervous...I did test it out prior in a mock setting. I used one of those huge storage totes, so I had a lid with a bit of ventilation to simulate (as best I could) how much water would evaporate...I know it isn't really a very scientific way of doing it but I thought it would be better than leaving it sit out on my counter. Thus far, I have not detected any ammonia, nitrate or nitrites, so I am hoping it will be something that can stay.

I started the water prior to putting it in the tank. After the testing phase, it seems to be working. I do a partial water change every 3 days because my basin only holds around a gallon (planning on making it bigger if this works out) Most of my crabs are under currently, but the ones that are still up do not seem the least bit phased by the filter. I have the Ovation 210 which is virtually silent (I can't hear it at all) and is one of the smallest ones (5 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/2) I have found with biological, chemical and mechanical filteration. It does indicate for use in at least 6" of water, but my basin is only 3 1/2 - 4" deep where the filter is and I have had no problems thus far with it operating properly. I think the 6" depth minimun is if you place it in the tank vertically. Some of the EE does on occasion accumulate on the intake, but I check my tank so frequently (because I am a stay home mom, I have that luxury) that when I notice it slightly covered, I use a brush (that I purchased just for the basin) to sweep the particles away and then scoop them out with a small fish net.

I'm not sure how long I will let it go before changing it out completely, but if I can at least get 3 weeks out of it, I would be thrilled. One interesting thing to note, since I have put the filter in, they don't poo in the water. Now I just need to come up with a natural looking way to make the pond accessible to the crabs, yet provide some medium that they must walk over to get to the basin. I am trying to cut down on the amount of EE that gets into the water. I have thought about putting down plastic canvas over the EE, and then pouring gravel on top of the canvas. It will just need some tinkering, but I am sure in time I will come up with just the right solution.

I was a bit leary to post this since I can't really offer any advice to anyone on how to go about setting it up in their own tank. The best I can say is to research about water quality and cycling, etc first and draw your own conclusions. And obviously as you have pointed out in the past, if you have a small tank, it really would be difficult to pull off and not very practical.

As far as sneaking a bigger tank in the house, hmm...I will work on some ideas [​IMG]

10. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Wendy
    Do ypou have any pics of your tnak [posted on here?
    I have awfully slow dial up, (one of the disadvantages of living back on this farm, can't get cable nor DSL) so have not looked at many pictures, it takes a really long time for them to load.

11. kuplakrabs

Sharon,
    I sort of deduced from your previous posts that you were in a very rural area LOL! I will see if I can resize my pictures and post them. It is pretty hard to make out the basin amongst the "wooded" area in the tank, but I will do my best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.