1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Submerged E, 20 minutes!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by kuplakrabs, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Hello Everyone!

As you may recall, not too long ago I had a straw submerge in the deep salt water basin for as long as 40 minutes. I just witnessed one of my tiny E's in the salt water basin for 20 minutes while I sat next to the tank and watched the clock. He was completely submerged-shell and all-exactly like my straw had done previously. Once again, I have no idea how long he was under before I spotted him.

One interesting thing I want to point out is that both times this has occured, I had made the water saltier than it had been previously. Normally, my sw has a specific gravity of about 1.023. Both times that the crabs have submerged it has been around 1.0285.

The first time I made the water saltier (when the straw submerged) was basically because I had sprinkled in some DW crystals (which I supply daily in the food dish) into the basin itself after the water had already been prepared. I, for some unexplained reason, thought the water was not salty enough-call it a hunch, I don't really know. Even though, I do test each batch with a hydrometer and the SG is always within .001 of the batch before. Something made me sprinkle that extra sw mix into the water. There was a water change in between when the straw submerged and since the E has submerged. Both batches of water were Cyrstal Sea Marinemix Bioassy Formula--the first with an additional DW added and the second (the batch that is in there now) was prepared with 10 TBSP of salt mix.

It could all just be pure coincidence. Perhaps they liked the new salt mix or perhaps they liked more salt in the water. Either way, I found it interesting and wanted to share.

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Wow, I've never heard of an E submerging. You must have a really nice pool there. [​IMG] I have some inch-deep salt and freshwater pools that I fill to the rim, but I haven't been seeing my crabs wade into them. They tend to drink or fill their shells from the edge. I think I may get a hydrometer and experiment with my salinity levels as well.

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I kept standing there thinking, he must be coming up soon so I refused to budge from the side of the tank. He did shift his legs a bit while he was under, but the stinker stayed under...I wanted to go to the store before it closed for the day (due to the holiday), but I was more intrigued by this little crab who was soaking, LOL.

4. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

I put in a tupperware thats deep enough to hold my jumbo straws today.. we will wait and see if they use it. It takes over a whole 10 OZ... do you think they will if its fresh water?

Also, I am soooo worried about my micros and microbe.

5. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

Wendy my straws and E's submerge but I haven't seen any stay under nearly that long. However my Calico Crab was under for more than 15 min. I don't know how long she was under before I noticed. I did time her at 16 min. from the time I noticed her, til she walked up and out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.