1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

streaker not doing too well...

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by crazeecrabber103, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

I came home today to find my new micro digging around NAKED.I tried to stay calm but I was pretty freaked out.I just couldn't think straight.First I tried the glass cup thing...NOt enough space.Okay I have to put him in a moist ISO right?SO I just let him run around in a plastic container and let him get substrate stuck all over him.Finally I scooped him up and put him(well he actually sorta just tumbled) into a small plastic container,which I made room for in the 10 gal tank.I cleaned his shell and put it in there and spritzed the bottom of the container with salt water.
    All of this seemed to make enough sense when I was doing it,but I think it stressed him out a lot.
    Temp. 75 degrees+;humidity 80%+.
    Each crab does have a place to hide.
    There are plenty of shells in there for em.
    No chemicals present in the air.
    NO BUGS.

I'm just scared that he's not going to make it from being moved around so much....[​IMG] Is there anything more I can do?Is there something else I should have done?Please help!Frantic mommy here!

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Does the micro have several shells to choose from in the container? If you have extras in his size, go ahead and put them in. All you can really do at this point is keep things quiet for him. He probably is a little stressed, but when a crab's naked it's usually not a good idea to just ignore the situation! My micro went naked several times, and I was lucky that he immediately returned to his shell whenever I cleaned it out and offered it to him again. At least once, he left it because he fell behind a tank ornament and couldn't get out with the shell on! I didn't find him naked that time, but in his other shell -- he had two he alternated between frequently. But back to the point -- there are several reasons that a crab might leave its shell. Having an irritant in there is one. Not feeling strong enough to carry is is another, so if your micro wears a heavy shell for his size and you've got a lighter one that would fit him, definitely offer it. Good luck -- I hope he gets dressed soon!

3. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I can't think of anything to add to what moire said. Here's to hoping for the best for your micro.

4. crazeecrabber103

Poor little guy didn't make it.I found him dead this morning.[​IMG]
    I really appreciate all the advice,though.It'll really help me be more prepared for the next time something like this happens(and I hope it won't be soon!).I wish I could've done something more to help him,but you live and you learn,right?He's in a much better place now,and he's not alone either.

5. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

So sorry to hear about your loss. Sadly enough, usually if they are wandering naked, it is usually too late to do much but make them comfortable. I was very lucky when I had the naked molter, but aside from him when I have a nude crab, he dies within days. You're right, he is not alone. He is playing with all of our lost crabbies now, tearing up the afterlife.

6. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Sorry to hear about your lil one.

7. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I'm so sorry.

8. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

Sorry about your micro. I just lost one 3 weeks ago, same thing. She kept going naked. I think the hard thing is you can only do so much. Sorry again.

9. crazeecrabber103

Aw,thanks for all your kindness.[​IMG]

10. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

This is my first posting on this site, but I certainly can empathize with the confusion/dilemma. Nine days ago, I was palm-feeding one of my micro PP'ers when he suddenly decided to jump out of his shell and streak towards his favourite treat in my hand. Shock! I had never even witnessed a shell exchange, let alone witness the abandonment in my very hand...I immediately tried to reintroduce him to his original shell, but he would have none of that! Next step was the shell & hermie in glass...nope. While there, I grabbed the next closest larger shell, rinsed in r/o water, & added 1 drop of pure tea tree oil to the shell, then gently fitted his pink butt into the new shell - after the second attempt, he hunkered right into (large) new shell, and claimed it as his own. You must avoid irritants such as substrate on his abdomen, so I gently poured about 2 oz.of r/o water over him in his new shell to remove irritants. It is now day 8 in his new shell (still in iso until strong enough to fully manouver new shell), but getting stronger every day. The whole process from start to finish was about 5 min., and I believe the expediency saved his life. He was not sick and did not "fall" out of his old shell, but rather "dove out". I had never thought a hermie would abandon his shell in full sight, but "Streaker" is doing wonderfully.
    Hope this helps if you find yourself in the same situation again. I've always believed that a naked hermie was a dead hermie, but such is not always the case. My suggestion is that the hermie must be cleaned of all sub., esp. on abdomen, for them to accept a properly moisturized shell, asap. If left naked, the hermie is likely to pick up irritants to abdomen with no means of keeping soft and protected. In such a situation, the hermie must be encouraged to enter a "friendly" habitat asap, for protection of abdomen and easy, smooth access.
    I welcome any questions.

11. crazeecrabber103

Thanks for the advice.I've been reading lots of other posts about how to deal with streakers.You learn something new everyday 'bout these guys...

12. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

Sorry it took me so long to find your message, but you would NOT believe what's taken place since! Esp. in the past couple weeks - it's spring!
    I've had Streaker not only moult, but turn around and do another shell jump in my hand the same time! Seems he took a shining to a new polished silver shell - no problem.
    It was the next 3 I picked up who decided to pull the same stunt! One E took 4 attempts to convince him to stay put, but since it was all done underwater, seems to have sustained no damage & happy in his new shell.
    btw - Streaker, having done two shell switches and a moult in just over a month, is gorgeous in his new (silver) shell (PP'er). Still in iso, but comes up to see me every day!

13. moire_eel

I have heard of something like this happening once before ... someone who picked up their crab only to have the crab leap out of its shell and into the crabitat below and run for cover. I guess if they're scared, they'll take desparate measures to feel safe again!

14. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

Then again, if you have a fellow like my tiniest, boldest PP'er, "Streaker" as well, who waits until I offer the special treats to promptly dump his shell and skitter, pink bare bottom to the breeze, to get to the treat in my palm. I'd say I've had to put him back in his shell at least 20 times, and he continually tries on several shells a day! May be one of the smaller PP'ers, but certainly knows real estate!
    Grabbed a med. pol. silver turbo twice his size, and then did a beautiful moult inside.

15. moire_eel

LOL, that's a pretty unusual crab you've got there! That must be some treat to get a crab to overcome its instincts for safety like that. But then again, there are probably crabs, like people, who just seem to be born without much common sense! Nevertheless, he sounds adorable. [​IMG]

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, I guess you could say he's part crazy (I've changed his name to "Crazy Legs", as it's nothing for him to try on 3 different shells in as many days in the tank!)
    However, we do have a history from when I first got him (teeny PP'er). First bath, he nose-dived out of his shell, and wouldn't stay in any until the small polished silver turbo...then it was his. As this was in the winter-time, he spent his iso time in the washroom (warmest, moistest, quietest) and we more or less developed a bond. During his moult to grow into his new shell, he would chirp at the sound of the door hinge, and I spoke frequently, encouragingly during our encounters. Two months in the lg. tank, and he's still first out to see me! I don't know if I've created monsters by handfeeding, but most of my hermies will slide far enough out of their shell to show both sets of back legs. A gentle tap reminds them to stay in safety range and still be sociable, but they do love their handfeedings!
    hermom

P.S. - Has anyone heard from Todd on how the mangled garbage moulter is doing?
    Chilipeds crossed!

17. Guest

Guest Guest

You're right - he is absolutely adorable. He even "chirps" right back at the sparrows just on the other side of the window. And the "special treat"? Rehydrated cranberries - a favourite of all my guys, and adds colour to their exo, regardless of species.

Regards,
    hermom

18. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

"Streaker" is now "Crazy Legs", due to his new habit of trying on a different shell a day. However, upon moving my original colony to the new 30-gal. tank, he has taken the lead in exploring and leading the way.
    I have no doubts that when the new "jumbo E's" eventually move, 1 at a time, to the new tank, C.L. will be their host to all the "neat climbing spots", with his/her confident attitude. How I love the underdogs/hermies!
    hermom

19. moire_eel

You know, after reading your posts about this, I have tried hand-feeding a few of my more outgoing crabs, and so far, two out of the three I've tried have been willing to take a raisin from my fingers. I held it up next to them, so it remains to be seen whether or not they would walk up to me to get it. I kinda hope they won't jump outta their shells to get it, though!

20. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

I guess I haven't explained myself too well when it comes to handling hermies - there are several steps I use.
    First of all, so that I have total control to prevent the hermie from landing on the floor (esp. when I am handling hermies for the first time), I pick up the "north" and "south" ends of the shell..knowing exactly where s(he) will come out, using the thumb and pointer finger, and the third finger for something they are comfortable with stepping on, talking the whole time. By keeping my 3rd finger taught, they cannot pinch on, but have secure footing. Most, wild or domesticated, will be out in seconds - keep talking softly. A hermie is curious, but must feel secure, with footing being critical.
    Next, and most important step is to have the treat (or even just basic food - they seem to love the warmth of your hand, plus I will gently stroke the shell...they can feel it, and relax) in the palm of your other hand. You must keep your palm stretched until your hermie knows you, as they can't pinch flesh they can't grasp. While controlling his shell, offer him the outstretched palm of food. They can feel the smallest release of your grip on the shell, and this is where "Streaker" aka "Crazylegs" takes his opportunity. Keep your grip firm to control how much s(he) can get out of their shell in the beginning, until you know your hermie. Eventually, you will be able to gently hold the shell with your ring finger of the feeding palm while they munch contentedly (secure, warm) and even hear it, in one hand! Many have actually fallen asleep in my palm, feeling warm, secure and full.
    How do you handle your crabs when, i.e., bathing, transferring from exercise area, etc? I'm always open to new suggestions.
    hermom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.