1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strawberry's and strawberry greens??

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by froggz37, Oct 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Just wondering if any of you have fed strawberries or any part of the strawberry plant to your hermies without any bad results.

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] I slice up strawberries and kiwi. They seem to really like it. [​IMG] hehe and me too...

3. froggz37

Also, just thinking about it, what about pumpkin seeds or the stringy insides?

4. froggz37

well if they like the fruit, I dont see the greens doing anything bad to them.

5. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Just make sure to thruoghly wash all fruits befour using them incase there is any pestacides on them from the grower. I use strawberries and have not had any probs you can try the pumkin and see if they like it.. [​IMG]

6. Gaby

Gaby Hi, I'm New Here!

I have a kaytee healthy toppings that I believe has pumpkin seeds in it. Darn if I didn't throw out the packaging - I thought that the ziplock bag would keep the food fresher than the open package... I will check online. [​IMG] Yup, I checked and they do have one that has pumpkin seeds. I don't know if maybe they should be dried or roasted first? [​IMG] I put the kaytee healty toppings in my hermie food only coffee grinder and chop it up for them and they really seem to like it. I don't know if that helps.

7. SuperMom

[​IMG] me and my girls sat and peeled the shells off a ton of seeds from our pumpkins(we baked them first) [​IMG] Then I soaked them in doc. Welfish salt water for about an hour, strained them, let them dry a bit and then crushed a few. Several of my little hermie babies seem to love them [​IMG]. This morning when I checked they were almost completely gone. [​IMG]

8. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

Ive given them fresh and frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apples, pears, bananas and cantaloupe. [​IMG]

9. SuperMom

[​IMG] Mine like blueberries alot I mix those with dry oatmeal also, and they all seem to love them.... [​IMG]

10. froggz37

So far I have tried bananas, apples, strawberries and seedless grapes. My ruggies favorite would have to be the grapes. They havent seemed too fond of the kohlorabi leaves. They mostly just knocked those down and drug them around to make hiding spots.
    But anyways, thanks for all of the ideas, as I am enjoying offering my hermies a really varied diet and rarely offering the processed foods. I've been thinking of doing a menu type deal with a rotation of different types of foods. Do any of you do something like this and if so, any tips or pointers to make it easier?
    Thanks
    Jess

11. hermit_crabs_rule

hermit_crabs_rule "Never Molted"

I gave my hermit crabs strawberries and vlueberries not too long ago(during the summer,probably june)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.