1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straw possibly?

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by cococrisp, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Might this be a straw. This is Kiwi. He sadly passed away a little bit ago but could he be a straw. He seems quite red.

Attached Files:

2. cococrisp

This is the best picture I could get He is quite shy.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

its too small--sorry-- PP's can be red legged too

4. cococrisp

No offense but I did not really want it to be a straw. I like more adaptable crabs that can more easily deal with stress from adoption. He just seemed sort of redish.:confused:

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

The picture is very small, but from what I can see he does not have the whitish speckles you always seem to see on a Straw. If I were to guess his species, I would guess PP.
    Here is a good article on PPS: crabstreetjournal.com - PPS (Post Purchase Stress): Minimizing the Impact. - Biology - News & Articles

It has a lot of information, but to help you absorb it, it is basically pointing out that you need to try to mimic the environment the crab came from within your iso, and very slowly, over days and weeks, adjust the environment up to proper conditions that you have within your main tank.
    When you have proper temp and humidity within the main tank and you adopt a crab from somewhere that has bad conditions with low humidity and different temps, even though you are moving them to good conditions, it can cause death as they need time to adjust to the changes.
    Please read the article, it will help you a lot. :)

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

The picture is bit small to tell, but from what I can see he looks like a PP. What color was his BP...I'm willing to bet it was a violet color. My crab Neptune is reddish like that and has a bright violet colored BP.

7. cococrisp

I can't tell you. That's Kiwi. It does not even matter now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.